Thread: Ring shank

Default Ring shank

Evening everybody. Currently working on another flower ring. I want to use this wire for the shank but it's only 0.8mm thick. I take it the best thing to do would be to cut a strip of 1mm silver and make a soldered sandwich?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210521_183445_compress45.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	13051

You can do that Sheena, but you could also simply lay the wires side by side and solder them together to make a corrugated strip. The solder which is hard, will give you a strong shank

Personally, I always have some vermiculite soldering board around, so as to stick in a few pins to stop the wires wandering. The pins are pushed firmly in and then bent over the wires to keep them flat. Without that the wires sometimes clump together, due to the tension of the molten solder.
    The soldering side becomes the inside when bent up, because it tends to be less neat.

Below is the shank of a ring made in this way. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2r3 Shamrock Ring Reverse +.jpg  

Thanks Dennis, I thought there must be another way, but I had a total eclipse of the brain and couldn't think what. I'll give it a go.
    Your ring looks superb. I'd love to see the front

There you are. Shamrock Rig. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2r4 Shamrock Ring.jpg   2r3 Shamrock Ring Reverse.jpg  

I wasn't expecting the shamrocks. More exciting than flowers I love the way you've looped the stems

Morning Dennis, at the crack of dawn I had a go at soldering three wires together and I am so delighted with the result! I think this may well become a signature for me. Here's a photo. The little band is the gallery wire soldered on top of sheet. The wider one is the three wires technique.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210523_090732_compress89.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	13057

Now you're good to go Sheena. Regards, Dennis.

Can I still anneal a shank when it's made up of several pieces of silver? Want to stretch it a little

Had a go at annealing it and managed to do it without the ring collapsing