Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer and Disc Cutter Question

Default Hammer and Disc Cutter Question

Hi everyone,

I just bought a disc cutter (cuts up to 1mm) and as fate would have, I can't find any brass hammers in South Africa, except for this one:
    (I can't post the link it says) But it is the ImpressArt Ergo Angle Hammer.
    It has a thick brass screw in front, and I suspect the rest of it is steel though/the back/the weight after the brass piece.

Would this work? It weighs 500 grams/over half a pound.

Thanks!

It might work Anne, but it's useful to have a hammer with more weight to it so that you can bash the cutting punch with less effort and more control.

I personally dont think it needs to be made of brass, because if after a while the top of the punch begins to spread, it can easily be adjusted with a file.

That said, I have used a 2lb steel hammer on my basic set for many years without any problem.

Welcome to the forum. Dennis.

I use a 2 LB brass hammer for mine, which works for me. I've only ever let my OH use it once, when he broke the adjustment thingie in the middle and had to send off to the US for a replacement. He's not been allowed near it since
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I use a 2 LB brass hammer for mine, which works for me. I've only ever let my OH use it once, when he broke the adjustment thingie in the middle and had to send off to the US for a replacement. He's not been allowed near it since
    That's very other half-ish. Don't let him near your spade either!

I made my own.... found a big lump of brass
    at the scrapyard and drilled a hole through it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C40376E5-2690-41D0-BB80-B5F6E91FEA1F.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	13043

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...rf9BHtKU4lFUhQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35EFB7FC-8740-4E69-AC22-B16214C11B9F.jpg  
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 13-05-2021 at 12:34 AM.

Rather than thrashing with a heavy mallet, on thicker sheet I use my homemade hydraulic press.
    David.

Homemade??

That's amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It might work Anne, but it's useful to have a hammer with more weight to it so that you can bash the cutting punch with less effort and more control.

I personally dont think it needs to be made of brass, because if after a while the top of the punch begins to spread, it can easily be adjusted with a file.

That said, I have used a 2lb steel hammer on my basic set for many years without any problem.

Thanks for the welcome, and the reply!

I've just found a copper hammer 2 pounds from a company that I'm not sure sells to the public but have emailed them to find a price!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post

I read that one shouldn't use a steel hammer though? If one can then fantastic, because I have a heavy enough steel one, I just worry about causing any damage?