Thread: Newbie query. Thanks,

Default Newbie query. Thanks,

I was hoping to make a plaque for my daughter using torch fired enamel on copper.I've looked at loads of youtube stuff and have ordered a video and book.
    My query is I'm thinking what I am proposing is impossible,as I suspect only small areas can be treated in this way,is this the case please? I may be able to break the item down into smaller bits,but I think cloisonne will be beyond me.
    Thanks.
    Mick.

Hello jtj and welcome to the forum.
    We always welcome questions, but missing is size of plaque, and type of torch. Dennis.

Sorry Dennis,
    well initially I thought something the size of a tea plate at least,say 150mm dia. As I said I suspect this may be unrealistic ...I wondered if differential expansion might be the killer,? I have a large Mapp gas torch I use for work,but it is a top quality Rothenberger and very controllable ,I also have access to oxy-acetylene.,but would happily invest in something else if needed. (any excuse to buy a new tool!)

No, enamelling requires lot of practice. Things repeatedly disappoint, because they don't come out as expected. Anything of that size would be best done in a Large kiln.
    Smaller pieces, about 2.5-3.0cm are feasible, but put together, some colours might not be a good march, due to inconsistency of firing.

As an alternative you might look at Efcolour cold enamel, which is a resin and can be cured in a domestic oven.

But don't despair, one of our enamellers will see this and reply in a day or two, so look in again. You could also search for an enamelling group, or possibly pottery. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-05-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks a million Dennis,I was beginning to think I was chasing an impossible task,I've loved copper and enamel for ages,and I tried to find an enameller without success.
    The cold enamel sounds like a perfect compromise though,and I'll be checking that this evening!
    Thanks again.
    Mick.

If you are on FB Mick there are also specific groups for both enamelling and resin for specific expertise. My husband recently took up enamelling first by torch firing and it is a learning curve especially with large items and also the way different colours behave. Good luck!

Thanks Caroline I'll have a look on Facebook for a group or groups! ��