Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wire guards

Default Wire guards

This necklace has been sitting in my cupboard for a couple of years. Thought I should finish it. Ran the beading wire through 2 crimps then through a wire guard but it's not the prettiest thing. The toggle is at the front of the necklace as a feature. Is there a prettier option? Or should I just remove it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210510_080424_compress79.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	13035

You could say it's well made and geometrical. Or you could say it's rather masculine for the delicate beads used.
    When in doubt, look up how others have done it, and do lots of drawings. Here are some on Etsy for instance:
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/toggle_clasps Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-05-2021 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    You could say it's well made and geometrical. Or you could say it's rather masculine for the delicate beads used.
    When in doubt, look up how others have done it, and do lots of drawings. Here are some on Etsy for instance:
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/market/toggle_clasps Dennis
    Hi Dennis, I maybe need to show the whole thing. It's a double wrap with a massively overesized toggle, though I think you might be right that the contrast is maybe too great.

Well Sheena, here is a chance to express your personality through an original design. Being at the front, it will be the central feature.
    It does not have to be a bar and a ring. It can be a cow and a bucket. Dennis.

From that link you posted looks like there should be a couple of closed jump rings on either end between the strand and the toggle. I'm considering switching the aquamarine for coconut shell

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Well Sheena, here is a chance to express your personality through an original design. Being at the front, it will be the central feature.
    It does not have to be a bar and a ring. It can be a cow and a bucket. Dennis.
    That is very true!

I used to do a lot of front fastening necklaces but as a design feature. I wouldn’t attach the wire directly to the toggle but as was said attach by jump ring for movement. There will be continual rubbing of the wire otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I used to do a lot of front fastening necklaces but as a design feature. I wouldn’t attach the wire directly to the toggle but as was said attach by jump ring for movement. There will be continual rubbing of the wire otherwise
    Did you use the wire guards as well?

I really like your toggle clasp Shena, but think you've hit the nail on the head that the toggle might be a little too oversized though.

Having said that, your toggle is diffierent and different imo is good!
    Jules

I thought everyone needs to see the whole thing
    Still unfinished
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210510_135907_compress50.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	13036

It's a terrible photo but it shows the scale