Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Wire guards

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Did you use the wire guards as well?
    Are they the bits that crimp, if so yes. I only have one though and because they look so cheap I usually cover them with a bead or 2. As you’re following FB wax groups now check out my page as I just posted a front fasten and there should be a couple more if you scroll back. Usually my main reason for front fastening clasps is as a statement in the design so they are always big
    Last edited by CJ57; 10-05-2021 at 03:35 PM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    cotswolds
    Posts
    3,339

    Default

    I love the clasp - the necklace is a really nice design.

    However, I'm not a fan of wire guardians unless they're very discreet and hidden away. Adding a small, then larger jump ring goes a long way to helping this, and also adds fluidity, as well as a necessary break point for safety. Alternatively make up a short length of sterling gimp by just coiling the finest silver wire you have on a piece of spring wire and use that instead - it will always look better.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I love the clasp - the necklace is a really nice design.

    However, I'm not a fan of wire guardians unless they're very discreet and hidden away. Adding a small, then larger jump ring goes a long way to helping this, and also adds fluidity, as well as a necessary break point for safety. Alternatively make up a short length of sterling gimp by just coiling the finest silver wire you have on a piece of spring wire and use that instead - it will always look better.
    Thanks Mizgeorge. Yes I was having a lot of doubts about using those things as I just don't think they're attractive. There's so many ways to do the ends of a necklace that I just seize up with the options, hence this having been in my cupboard for years.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    8,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    I thought everyone needs to see the whole thing
    Still unfinished
    It's a terrible photo but it shows the scale
    That puts it into perspective. Mind if I edit the picture a bit?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Are they he bits that crimp, if so yes. I only have one though and because they look so cheap I usually cover them with a bead or 2. As you’re following FB wax groups now check out my page as I just posted a front fasten and there should be a couple more if you scroll back. Usually my main reason for front fastening clasps is as a statement in the design so they are always big
    Just had a look around your Facebook page. I 'd forgotten how good your work was Caroline. It's real class, with a strong sense of form/shape. I can see your finishes are carefully thought out too

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    That puts it into perspective. Mind if I edit the picture a bit?
    You are more than welcome, it's not one I'm proud of

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Just had a look around your Facebook page. I 'd forgotten how good your work was Caroline. It's real class, with a strong sense of form/shape. I can see your finishes are carefully thought out too
    Aw thanks Sheena if I’m doing big pieces I like to do a matching clasp and it’s quite a selling point with one customer who likes to be able to wear her clasp round the front, up the side, wherever takes her fancy!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    8,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    You are more than welcome, it's not one I'm proud of
    Here you are. One for you to keep if you wish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210510_135907_compress50 ll.jpg  

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Here you are. One for you to keep if you wish.
    That's lot better Dennis! You've really improved the exposure, I will put it into my album on here if I'm able to figure it out

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Caroline these are the wire guardians or guards that we've been talking about. They're not pretty. I don't think they have a place at the front of a necklace
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210511_091519_compress83.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	13040

    I was going to replace my photo in this thread with your photo Dennis but sadly once it's no longer the last post it's no longer editable.
    Last edited by Sheen; 11-05-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •