Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patinated Flower ring

Default Patinated Flower ring

Hi Everyone, hope you are enjoying spring even though the weather's all over the place. This is my latest make, a brass and silver flower ring with a moonstone cab. I decided to use a swellegent patina on the brass figuring that even though it'll get worn off the underside and edges, it would stay in the crevices. Do you think i should give it a varnish or wax or leave it be?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210507_173611_compress41.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	13029

Name:	20210507_201620_compress9.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	13030
    Last edited by Sheen; 07-05-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Mm, we were taught at college to use vinegar and salt for a patina on brass, causing it to be mottled by adding sawdust or cat litter.
    The colour was speckled verdigris and brown. I applied a trace of wax polish with a flat brush, just to reduce the rather powdery effect.
    Here are several discussions on this technique.

https://www.google.com/search?client...atina+on+brass

In your case the powdery effect is rather attractive so a coating might not be an improvement. Dennis.

I’ve got a great sheet for mainly friendly patination, I thought I’d shared it with you in the past. As Dennis said vinegar and I used rice which gave a great patination. It doesn’t last well though, a lot of it rubbed off then I waxed it which was ok for a fold formed panel but would be useless for a ring. A furniture designer I know has all sorts of chemicals for permanent verdigris but you wouldn’t want to use that!

I find the best way to work out what anything does, a build or a patina, is to wear it yourself for a few weeks. Then you'll know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I’ve got a great sheet for mainly friendly patination, I thought I’d shared it with you in the past. As Dennis said vinegar and I used rice which gave a great patination. It doesn’t last well though, a lot of it rubbed off then I waxed it which was ok for a fold formed panel but would be useless for a ring. A furniture designer I know has all sorts of chemicals for permanent verdigris but you wouldn’t want to use that!
    Yes you did I've been quite keen on the swellegant range though because they're premixed and relatively safe. The thought of permanent verdigris makes my mouth water but you're right I wouldn't go near anything super toxic. I do think I could take the same idea and use enamel in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    I find the best way to work out what anything does, a build or a patina, is to wear it yourself for a few weeks. Then you'll know what happens.
    That's very wise advice, I think I will. I'm expecting it to wear from most areas but hopefully it'll stay in the tight/deep spots

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    That's very wise advice, I think I will. I'm expecting it to wear from most areas but hopefully it'll stay in the tight/deep spots
    Yes it should do. Be nice to take a look at it again in a few weeks once you've been wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    Yes it should do. Be nice to take a look at it again in a few weeks once you've been wearing it.
    I'll post it

Default Two flower rings

Just finished the second flower ring I was working on. The worst bit was cleaning the brass of the copper plating from the soldering process. The stone is an aqua chalcedony. I put a piece of silver mylar underneath to bring out the sparkle. The setting went like a dream

Name:	20210508_081934_compress6.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	13031

They are lovely Shena and I'd happily wear them! I'm liking your style and just need to discover mine.
    Jules