Thread: Customer Care - jewellery cleaning guide

Default Customer Care - jewellery cleaning guide

Hi there! I have a quick question regarding the customer using baking soda and hot water with aluminium foil to remove tarnish. There are numerous videos on you tube showing how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkIJyjeQmk4

Can the customer use this method for silver if there are little bits of gold on the jewellery too either for Keum Boo or jewellery with gold plated highlights?

Many thanks!!

Hi Andrea.I know it’s the method of choice by antique dealers for large items of silversmithing that would require a lot of elbow grease otherwise.
    I wouldn’t advise for jewellery and would suggest a jewellery cleaner such as Goddard , easily available in most supermarkets or probably from Amazon. The easiest one is the tub with the sponge. Also as a general spring clean without tarnish I always advise a bit of washing up liquid on a sponge which will remove grease, rinse and dry with a soft cloth

I used the aluminium foil method which was much in vogue when I first started, but the method is not always effective and can reverse itself, if pieces are left too long.
    Now as Caroline has recommended, I clean with a brush and hot detergent, if very dirty, and then a silver cleaner, followed by a jewellery cloth.

Gold embellishments are no deterrent, but porous gemstones mus be treated very briefly to avoid a milky dicolouration.

It is also worth persuading clients to include anti tarnish tabs or strips in their drawers, or boxes when their pieces are stored. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi Andrea.I know it’s the method of choice by antique dealers for large items of silversmithing that would require a lot of elbow grease otherwise.
    I wouldn’t advise for jewellery and would suggest a jewellery cleaner such as Goddard , easily available in most supermarkets or probably from Amazon. The easiest one is the tub with the sponge. Also as a general spring clean without tarnish I always advise a bit of washing up liquid on a sponge which will remove grease, rinse and dry with a soft cloth
    Thank you! very helpful. I will check out Goddard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I used the aluminium foil method which was much in vogue when I first started, but the method is not always effective and can reverse itself, if pieces are left too long.
    Now as Caroline has recommended, I clean with a brush and hot detergent, if very dirty, and then a silver cleaner, followed by a jewellery cloth.

Gold embellishments are no deterrent, but porous gemstones mus be treated very briefly to avoid a milky dicolouration.

It is also worth persuading clients to include anti tarnish tabs or strips in their drawers, or boxes when their pieces are stored. Dennis.
    This is great, thanks Dennis. Noted on the gemstones.