Thread: All That Glitters Challenges

Default All That Glitters Challenges

Hi Everyone,

I realised that I hadn't posted here for quite a while, sorry. It's been really busy lately!

Has anyone been watching All That Glitters? I've been watching religiously! And at my husband's encouragement, I've been making a weekly project in the theme of one of their challenges (I don't do it to the timeframe and sometimes change the materials to fit with what I have!). I've done 3 so far and make little videos to document my progress (if anyone's interested), but thought I'd share my first 3 - it's been a steep learning curve (I have lost sleep and broken a lot of saw blades). I'd love to hear thoughts!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bangle.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	13015

Name:	IMG_4515.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	13016

Name:	IMG_4705-1024x873.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	13017

Who are you all rooting for?
    Sami x

I'm currently battling the bangle that Hugo made that failed the sizing and I can fully understand how he got it wrong!.

I'm working in copper so I don't risk wasting a lot of silver.

As to the winner - I really want Tamara to win but I think it'll be Dan or Hugo.

It is an interesting format for television viewing, but in reality people must work their own pace to do their best, or they will just repeat something they have made before and omit challenging details.
    Inspired designs can't be called up at will. Accidents and unforeseen problems happen to all of us and are usually put right, given more time. Dennis.

Great thread. I'm loving the programme. It must be hard to work under that kind of pressure. Really liked the silver chain soldered with gold.

Caro - very brave to take on Hugo's bangle! All those angles... I definitely wasn't brave enough for that one, since I've never made a bangle by myself before!

I'm rooting for Dan as he's quite local to me, and I love his style. I also like Hugo's style, too, so tough call. I have a feeling Sonny might win, though.

Dennis - I think you're right about people needing to work at their own pace! But for the purposes of TV, it's interesting to see how people cope with pressure. If the programme is filmed in a similar way to Masterchef, then I suspect that the jewellers are told a week in advance what the task will be, so that they have time to prepare something. From watching the programme, I think the "Bestseller" challenge is done this way, but perhaps the "Bespoke" challenge is a little more "off the cuff". For example, in the week where the jewellers had to create something out of alternative materials, the host mentioned that they were able to bring materials for home for the challenge - so I guess there is time for thinking and planning, and perhaps practising before you arrive! (If you're diligent enough!)

Avril - I don't think I could cope with the pressure at all! 5 hours to make something... it's never going to happen. It took me 3 hours to figure out how to solder something together the other day! Haha!