Thread: Gold solder

Default Gold solder

When I solder Gold I always use the the appropriate karat for the job, I have been asked to attach a safety chain to a bracelet given to my Sister in law by my late brother, chain has been supplied problem is I do not know either karat of the chain or the bracelet, what do the experts recommend 18 karat solder?

18ct easy, or 9ct easy have fairly similar low melting points. You can test for carat if you have a kit.

However my first thought would be to cold connect, by finding spaces or making holes, to insert stout jump rings, which would stay closed without soldering.

Even if you do decide to solder, I would do the same as above, inserting your own jump rings, and soldering them closed. That way you are more in control and don't need to apply direct heat to the bracelet.

It is also worth checking that once done, the hand can pass through. 6 cm of safety chain is a rough guide. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I have 18ct easy so that makes life simple, The idea of jump rings without solder sounds attractive. The actual bracelet is well worn, while pretty much anything is repairable every link would have to be rebuilt, each second link is embossed, so a nightmare rebuild.