Thread: oxygen torch set up help

Default oxygen torch set up help

Hi all,

I am looking to get setup with an oxygen torch but I have no idea what I actually need to buy and where I can get it from. It seems cooksons sells a smiths little torch but no oxygen or anything for the actual setup. Could someone help me with a list of what I actually need and potential retailers where I can get it from?

thanks,

You will require in addition to the torch Oxygen, Acetylene/LPG regulators to suit, and for ultimate safety flash back arrestors
    as for gas suppliers there would be companies in your location, then watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX4rGAOc0qc

hi Cheal,

I was very satisfied when I upgraded to an oxygen system ... I would recommend not to bother with acetylene, propane is cheaper, more readily available and plenty hot enough. I would highly recommend using a welding supply company... much cheaper than jewellery supplies ..... and a shop with an over the counter service are happy to give help and advice .... compare prices and always asked for a discount they are normally happy to oblige ... i use a company called Wellington welding Who also deal with the gas supplier called hobbygas so they always have a variety different sized oxygen bottles in stock.

A bottle of propane and a bottle of oxygen, flashback arresters and a regulator for each bottle may be quite an outlay to start with but well worth the investment in the long run.

make sure you buy your torch from a reputable company like cooksongold, there are a lot of cheap ripoffs out there that may be dangerous.

hope this helps ... nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 25-04-2021 at 11:39 AM.

One other thing that I forgot that should be on the shopping list is a can or bottle of leak detector spray.

Tuffnell Glass are recommended for OxyCons, plus they do refurbished ones and you can discuss with them your set up, so they can supply the correct bits for the job. https://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d103.html
    Jules

Default Oxygen torch set up

Interesting posts as thinking of getting the Smith's Little torch too.tuffnellglass do a good deal on the torch and oxygen concentrator, what isn't clear is whether I would still need an oxygen cylinder

If you've got an oxygen concentrator that'll put out enough O2 to run reasonably hot with a Little Torch. You don't need a cylinder as well.

The Tuffnells oxycons are more than adequate to run a Little Torch - no additional oxygen needed. All you need to add is a propane bottle, flashback arrestor and hose.