Thread: How to check extra large ring sizes

Default How to check extra large ring sizes

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to check that any extra large rings I make are actually fitting right if I don't have the customer there with me?

I always check my pieces on myself to make sure I haven't filed too much away etc, but my fingers just don't cover the larger sizes so it feels like a bit of guesswork.

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi Nina,
    Luckily Cookson have now got these very cheap plastic ring sizing sets which includes very large sizes: https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...prcode-1VP-034.
    This means that one can be sent to your customer, and one kept by you can be used to copy the size needed.

For wide rings an imaginary centre line is the size to go for. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Nina,
    Luckily Cookson have now got these very cheap plastic ring sizing sets which includes very large sizes: https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...prcode-1VP-034.
    This means that one can be sent to your customer, and one kept by you can be used to copy the size needed.

For wide rings an imaginary centre line is the size to go for. Dennis.
    Hi Dennis

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I have one of those sizing sets! The only problem is that these rings are 12mm wide. I even used the Mordent calculator that you so kindly shared on a past post but the rings (size Z and Z+1) have come out much bigger than needed.

If I go by diameter alone, which seems to be my only option right now, how much would you personally add to the measurement?

Also, I'm so sorry if I'm being a bit slow, but what do you mean by an imaginary centre line? Would I be looking for match that size to en exact size Z or Z+1 in this case?

Last edited by nina_5682; 25-04-2021 at 11:09 AM.

Yes, I suspect that was not clear enough. Imagine a line running around the band at its middle, in your case 6.0mm from each edge. That will be the ring size to use without bothering about the tables.

The exact length of strip or wire will be the diameter as measured on the ring stick, plus the thickness of the metal, multiplied by 3.14.

You need to mark the place, cut beyond it and and file back to there. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-04-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, I suspect that was not clear enough. Imagine a line running around the band at its middle, in your case 6.0mm from each edge. That will be the ring size to use without bothering about the tables.

The exact length of strip or wire will be the diameter as measured on the ring stick, plus the thickness of the metal, multiplied by 3.14.

You need to mark the place, cut beyond it and and file back to there. Dennis.
    Thank you Dennis!