Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Switzerland

The fountain pen began to fall out of favour, with the invention of the Biro in the mid 1940s. A really ugly ball pen, which cost £2: quite a lot of money at the time.
    Also fountain pens needed re-filling from a bottle, which could be quite messy, and the bladders perished and needed replacing from time to time.
    With air travel becoming more universal it became apparent that they could leak on planes, and I spent a week at a foreign conference with a large ink stain on the front of my jacket.
    Now they are prized collectors pieces. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 15-04-2021 at 10:36 AM.

How true although some clever bod invented the cartridge, the one I carry out and about has a cartridge not for the purest, although is is easy to refill and I have never had it leak, for home use I have more traditional types.

Hi Geoffrey, I've seen your name over on FPN - I'm also a pen person - mainly repair and restoration, and a bit of collecting, and writing of course! Nice to see you here!

And Caroline - give me a shout if you'd like me to have a look at your pens - I'd be only too happy to get them back into working order for you

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Hi Geoffrey, I've seen your name over on FPN - I'm also a pen person - mainly repair and restoration, and a bit of collecting, and writing of course! Nice to see you here!

And Caroline - give me a shout if you'd like me to have a look at your pens - I'd be only too happy to get them back into working order for you
    Sorry to hijack Geoffrey’s post but wanted to show off what has turned out to be a stylish Parker pen of the 70s.
    I have another not so stylish Parker both cartridge and a Swan and a Stephens. I’ll message you with some pics George. Of the vintage I think the Swan is my favourite
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2548196D-8FA9-4994-A5D3-41D3C67E65E3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	12981

Caroline - that looks very much like a Parker 50 Falcon in the TX brown - these are very much sought after now as they had a fairly limited production run - lucky you!

Of all the older British pens, Swans are my favourites, and are a joy to work on and to use, often with the most fabulous nibs. I like Stephens as well - some of their celluloids are absolutely lovely once they're cleaned up. They're often very nice to write with, and still work as well today as they did in their prime. Do drop me a line

I confess to loving my Parker Lady pens. They have lovely gold nibs and fit my tiny hand perfectly. However, their small size means twice as much filling! Just as well I have several, bought for me as birthday presents.One has a matching propelling pencil which takes soft leads and is also a joy to draw with.

Sorry, I was busy last week - there was a free spot in a pensioners home for my grandmother and we all scrambled to get her things packed and look after her a little last week. But I'm very glad to see that you continued chatting!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Mine won’t be quite vintage or maybe it is but not as vintage as the couple I have somewhere that have perished innards. I wouldn’t imagine it’s anything special as we’re didn’t have much money
    They'd probably still write quite decently. My great aunts school pen is an excellent writer for instance, especially compared to the school pen I received in the early 2000's.. But that's a really really bad example I think. :P
    That's a very nice Parker you've got there!

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post

Wow, you have an excellent memory! I haven't been over on FPN for quite a while. Ought to log on there again sometime

I haven’t looked at any of them in years to be honest. The Parker is rather sleek and I think that was another problem, quite small and smooth to hold.Perhaps too ladylike for me! I rather like the look of this one so I might have it refurbished

Attachment 12991 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2AD1DFAD-83F1-4C13-8F5E-2C065D6D0A1F.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	12994
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A63CAF68-20C0-4EB2-804C-6FE851775D05.jpg