Thread: can rouge go into safety pickle

Default can rouge go into safety pickle

Hi,
    I'm painting powdered rouge onto my silver to restrict the flow of solder. How do I clean my silver after soldering, please? Is it safe to stick it all into my pickle as I think the rouge contains iron?
    Thanks for your help.
    Nat

No, your pickle will become mucky.
    Clean the piece as well as possible first, using a brush and hot detergent. Then you'll be fine, but when you are more experienced learn to do without anti-flux (except in extreme cases) to save the hassle. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    No, your pickle will become mucky.
    Clean the piece as well as possible first, using a brush and hot detergent. Then you'll be fine, but when you are more experienced learn to do without anti-flux (except in extreme cases) to save the hassle. Dennis.
    Thank you Dennis. I never had to use anti-flux before, but felt this particular piece needed it due to intricate pattern that would be impossible to clean. I tried to wash the rouge off the way you suggested, however most of the rouge formed a solid crust and wouldn't come off that way. So I had no choice but stick it in my pickle. I was worried it will colour my silver pink, but it didn't. However as you said, my pickle is now mucky. I wonder if I'm ok to be still using the same pickle (since it did not discolour my silver) or is there a danger it will harm my silver. Thanks again,
    Nat

Would an ultrasonic bath help? After all it loosens and removes anything to clean clock movements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk