Thread: Replicating a necklace

Default Replicating a necklace

Hi Everyone, I've just joined this community and would like help with a commission I've been given. I have to replicate as closely as possible a necklace which has been lost. The original had five mother of pearl shamrocks with small cubic zirconias in snaptite claw settings in the centre holes and the shamrocks appear to be attached to a chain. It was an inexpensive necklace, costing about £20. I haven't been able to source shamrocks with stems, but have found some without. My problem is that I am having difficulty working out how to attach the shamrocks to the links in the chain. My initial thought is to use snaptite earring settings for the czs and trim the stems, then twist them around the chain links, or to trim the stems, cut a new groove in them, and attach them to the chain using butterfly backs. Any other ideas gratefully welcomed!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210124_130545.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	12969 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-01 at 15.03.36.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	12970

Hi Yvonne, welcome.
    From the photos it looks as if the settings have a wire which goes through the hole of the shamrock and is formed into a loop of some sort through the chain. I have to wonder how you can make this for the original cost. Can the customer not buy another from the original seller?

Your method will not succeed, because the ear posts on Snaptite fittings will be too short (10-12mm), so the shamrocks will sit too high and will tend to flop forward.

For an inexpensive low tech solution, I would cut off the posts and glue the settings in place with gel superglue, used sparingly. Simpler still, you could glue in pointy-back foiled crystals directly. If you get foiled ones, the glue won't show.

Then drill the mother of pearl and suspend the shamrocks with well closed heavy jump rings.
    Alternatively you might be able to use glue-on bails as used for pendants, and glue them to the back of each shamrock leaf. Dennis.

Thank you for your help, Caroline and Dennis. To reassure Caroline, I am not making the replica for the original price! I suspect that the original was bought abroad, a number of years ago, and the client doesn’t know who sold it to him. I also think that the shamrocks were attached to the chain by some mechanism attached to the back of the stem, but as I couldn’t find any with stems, after hours of searching the internet, I gave up and ordered ones without. I will certainly try glue.