Thread: First Bit of Silversmithing Since Returning to Jewellery Making!

Default First Bit of Silversmithing Since Returning to Jewellery Making!

Hello,

Hope it's ok, but thought I'd share my first bit of silversmithing since I came back to my jewellery making obsession. For the past 3 months, I've been learning wire wrapping, but switched to silversmithing once my children went back to school. I've made a spinner ring (so I could take part in the Jewellers' Academy challenge) - so a bit of practice with soldering, sizing of rings and lots of experimentation with getting the outer ring to fit on the inner ring. It's far from perfect (and I still need to work on finishes), but I'm pleased that a) it fits and b) the solder seam did not split!

Would love to hear your thoughts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3706.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	12967

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3709.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	12968

Thank you,
    Sami x

The background has an interesting and unusual texture. The spinner is made from square wire, which is not the easiest of options.
    Very well done. Dennis.

You've made your spinner with care and attention to detail. I would say you've made an excellent start.

Thank you both. I'm very grateful for the comments and encouragement. This week, I went back to basics and made a simple ring band and spent a long time filing out the scratches, and polishing. I was reasonably happy with it, and enjoyed the process. As they say, practice makes perfect... I had not realised before just how much patience was needed to get the right finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jewellery Girl View Post
    This week, I went back to basics and made a simple ring band and spent a long time filing out the scratches, and polishing. I was reasonably happy with it, and enjoyed the process.
    Here you've hit on a serious point, Jewellery Girl. The sheet and wire come from you dealer in near perfect condition. You are not meant to mutilate them and then waste time cleaning up the damage. At each stage you should anticipate this, by dusting down your work space and bench peg with a brush. The underneaths where necessary should be protected with masking tape when filing as should pliers if they are prone to leaving marks. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Here you've hit on a serious point, Jewellery Girl. The sheet and wire come from you dealer in near perfect condition. You are not meant to mutilate them and then waste time cleaning up the damage. At each stage you should anticipate this, by dusting down your work space and bench peg with a brush. The underneaths where necessary should be protected with masking tape when filing as should pliers if they are prone to leaving marks. Dennis.
    Thank you, Dennis. I appreciate the advice, and will put it into practice as I did think I had put rather more scratches than I should have done on this ring
    Sami