Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solder joins reflowing

Default Solder joins reflowing

I'm having a wee problem with my perfect solder joins losing solder as I solder other joins. It's happened with the join between bezel and backplate, and in this example the two halves of my stepbezel (on the right hand side). The join was invisible now it's formed a little dip since soldering other parts. It's like the solders been pulled out slightly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210326_072305_compress7.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	12964

At the moment my soldering is a bit hit and miss, I'm not panicking about it as I think it's part of the process of learning. When you first start you're very careful to do everything you've been taught then you get sloppy as time goes on.
    Last edited by Sheen; 26-03-2021 at 07:26 AM.

Yes, well now you know the hazard, its best to choose lower melting point solder for the ultimate soldering.
    Also don't clean up until all heating is done, because a cleaned up solder joint reheated will form a meniscus, a groove that shows. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, well now you know the hazard, its best to choose lower melting point solder for the ultimate soldering.
    Also don't clean up until all heating is done, because a cleaned up solder joint reheated will form a meniscus, a groove that shows. Dennis
    Thanks Dennis, I shall be trying to factor this in to how i work from now on. I like to solder lots of bits onto my rings but the downside is lots of reheating.

If you have any powder rouge Sheen, mix it to a paste with water and paint it on the previous joints, the fat will prevent the solder from re-flowing.
    Poor old Les

With a piece like this perhaps you could design it so that the joint is positioned hidden under one of the claws.

Thanks Poor old Les and Alastair. I don't have rouge but I do have some yellow ochre which I really should get out of storage and try. Because this bezel was made in two L shapes I couldn't have put the joins under the claws but it's a great idea for my future round and oval bezels! Definitly one I'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Thanks Poor old Les and Alastair. I don't have rouge but I do have some yellow ochre which I really should get out of storage and try. Because this bezel was made in two L shapes I couldn't have put the joins under the claws but it's a great idea for my future round and oval bezels! Definitly one I'll do.
    Could you not have made the bezel in one by scoring and if necessary needle filing the corners and folding to have only one joint wherever you needed it? What does yellow ochre do, I usually just take a course brush to my rouge block and that usually works too

Yellow ochre is used the same as rouge to make a solder resist, I have only ever used rouge but many people use the ochre, I think the rouge is more old school.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Yellow ochre is used the same as rouge to make a solder resist, I have only ever used rouge but many people use the ochre, I think the rouge is more old school.
    Thanks Bob I’d never heard that except for painting but then I’m old

I know the feeling I am officially old now, the government has sent me a letter telling me I can apply for the aged pension.