Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not able to melt 30g of silver have to buy new torch, please advise

Unhappy Not able to melt 30g of silver have to buy new torch, please advise

Hello guys,

Im a hobbyist silversmith and for past 3 weeks I cant succeed in delft clay casting. I purchased Orca jeweller propane torch, but it only melts to 15g of silver.

When I cast, the mould usually fills halfway. Ive learned from past 30 tries and countless youtube videos to make the pouring hole bigger like 4-5mm, I use small, borax glazed crucible, cast the ring from top, I prevent the heat from running away with a little 'house' from fireclay.

Ive come to a conclusion I will need a stronger, propane oxy torch to melt the silver, because for 8g silver ring, 16g seems to be not heavy enough to push in, and I need to melt about 27g.

I would greatly appreciate any advice if you have a recommendation for oxy propane torch in a relatively good price for a beginner.

Thanks!

I dont have the knowledge to answer your question, but it is possible that changing to a hotter gas is all that's needed.
    Watch this space and someone will know. Dennis.

I suggest you do search on this forum (Top right hand of the page) the subject of torches has been discussed many times, aside from that I would recommend the smiths little torch, you will need the rose bud tip also the melt that amount of Silver.
    "Cast ring from the top" is not the way I would approach it I would cast it from the side, ( ring laying flat) also you need some channels for the gas to escape.
    Last edited by china; 24-03-2021 at 12:31 PM.

hi there,
    i’ve had lots of experience with delft clay with great results over the years. I started out with a large sievert torch and a bottle of propane. some of the keys for success are...

your whole Crucible should be glowing red hot, your molten silver should be easily rolling around the Crucible looking like Mercury.
    When ready to pour your flame should heat the Crucible spout extra hot.
    Keep the heat focused on the Crucible when approaching the mould get as close to the funnel as possible.
    The funnel should be carved out of delft clay and not part of a Metal mould.
    The pouring hole should be as short and as large as possible.
    And last of all ... you sort of dash the molten silver into the funnel rather than a slow pour.
    I hope some of this helps ... Nick

Valuable advice, but dont be surprised if palnik does not return to acknowledge your answer; an annoying feature of forums.
    Still you're not talking to yourself. There are hundreds of lurkers out there who will take in your recommendations, but are too shy to say so. Dennis.

well thanks for your acknowledgement Dennis, being new to all this and a complete novice at forums i’m finding it quite difficult to get around the site and comprehend how it all works.

May I ask if I’m allowed to mention my YouTube videos about jewellery making on this forum without getting into trouble?

thanks ... Nick

Yes you can, and welcome to watch on lockdown nights.
    Send links. Dennis.

thanks Dennis, can’t get a live link to work at the moment, hopefully get there with a bit of persistence, all the best Nick

Hello from me too Nick
    You’ll need a few more posts before it will allow to to share. Good to check out forum rules so that you’re not tearing your hair out in frustration!
    Caroline

Thanks Caroline for that golden nugget of information .... probably find all the answers to life‘s difficulties if one digs deep enough. ... x Nick