Thread: Hi there it’s Maggie, please have patience. I am very new to this. Many thanks

Post Hi there it’s Maggie, please have patience. I am very new to this. Many thanks

When you are making stud earrings. What size posts do you buy in comparison to the size of the bead please. Thank you

The size of the post is standard, because it has to fit someone's piercing. Even a mm larger can be surprisingly painful.
    Or do you mean the size of a cup for a pearl, for example?
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

If you buy ready made posts, you don't have much choice. They are generally 0.8mm in diameter.
    Welcome to the forum. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    The size of the post is standard, because it has to fit someone's piercing. Even a mm larger can be surprisingly painful.
    Or do you mean the size of a cup for a pearl, for example?
    I mean the cup you glue the crystal to or if using half drilled beads. Is it called a cpu peg post and also to glue flat backs. I got to thinking if I bought the same size as the bead there would be to much metal showing

Many thanks

That's right, keep the cup smaller than the bead. Use gel superglue applied with a pin, and if there is a post, you might need a cheap bead reamer set to enlarge the hole.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bead-Ream...AAAOSw-GNb5OfU Dennis.

Most gel superglue tubes have a nozzle which works fine, but use about half as much glue as you think you need. The cup should be well under the diameter of the bead. (In the case of cheap gold cups it is often around 2mm!) The most important consideration is that the more the surfaces of bead and finding come into contact, the better the adhesion.
    When you get the glue get the glue remover too. You'll thank me!
    (much more about setting and glueing in the book)(shameless plug)(including how to enlarge the drill holes properly and not use a reamer, which will only break)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk