Thread: PMC and gemstone setting

Default PMC and gemstone setting

Hi there,
    I'm new here and wonder whether you could help me?

I'm setting off to make some silver earrings set with sapphires (I think these are durable enough to withstand firing in a kiln).
    However, would you advise that I use PMC3 and kiln at 600 Celsius, or could I get away with the OneFire at 870-900 Celsius?
    I'm not clear on the relative values of PMC 3 vs. OneFire? It seems that the latter is stronger and more easily manipulated (and since I tend to make fine detailed pieces I thought this might be the better option), but not if I can't set with stones.
    Also, is it possible to use the PMC3 paste with OneFire despite different firing temps?

Many thanks for your patience with my beginner's questions.
    Best wishes,
    Katy

Hi Katy welcome to the forum
    No doubt someone might be able to answer your question but in the meantime have you tried any of the specific clay forums of which there seem to be many? I’m guessing that they might have more experience of the various metal clays.

This is considered to be the most comprehensive guide to setting stones in metal clay, lots to read but you should find the info you're after somewhere in there.

https://feltmagnet.com/crafts/gemstones-in-metal-clay

There are lots of other shorter guides/charts available online if you don't want to scroll through the long one.

Thank you so much. I will check out your suggestions.
    All the best,
    Katy