Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about tumbler polishing silver figaro,curb etc. chain links

As Bob has already said an ultrasonic to remove any grease and grime from the inside or more time consuming and probably less practical a soft toothbrush and washing up liquid if you don’t want to buy an ultrasonic.

I've done that as well, basically i did everything, except using ultrasonic cleaner (don't have one). I've left the chains in the silver dip minutes, even hours, the effect was same, its still some yellowish tone to it compared to the new ones where they look like shiny white.

Is this for personal use or for resale? If it just a cleaning issue for personal use I think you have to accept that silver will change with wear and environment, detergents, toiletries, acid in the skin etc and will never have the just bought look.

Yeah Def.! i understand, this is personal use yes, but like i mentioned earlier, only one time, i got the chain back looking exactly like when it was new, that was years ago, that jewelry shop no longer exists here, the jeweler told me, they re-applied silver coating on it aka silver plating, which i was surprised because i thought thats done mostly on non precious metals.
    What's your take on that if you may know?

We are designer makers on here so can’t really comment on what a shop would do. I believe if you want a more permanent shine then they can be rhodium plated but I’d assume that will wear off and need redone but I really don’t have any advice on this.
    If you need advice on making jewellery there will always be help!

Got you! Thanks though

If as you now suggest the chain has been plated, there are only two ways to restore it, have it re plated will need to be done at regular intervals, or strip the plating off and re polish (not worth the effort)
    ( unlikely it was Sliver plated more likely Rhodium )
    Last edited by china; 13-03-2021 at 04:02 AM.

At first i thought as well, i ask our local jewelry shop if it's rhodium plated and they said no lol, if you can you tell from a picture let me know. Here check out the pictures, on the left is the old chain, recently polished in a tumbler in our local jewelry shop for 1-2 hour (as what they said to me) on the right brand new. (keep in mind the one on the left had exactly same shine as the right one when it was new). Both of these are sterling silver of course.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	160047833_4017254604965777_1212362333516929677_n.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	12944

one more picture, with a flash.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	160448265_228268159035517_3275935875496051474_n.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	12945

Why do we have 2 different names posting the same information now?