Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about tumbler polishing silver figaro,curb etc. chain links

Almost all commercially sold (rather than studio jeweller / handmade) jewellery is plated before sale. It saves on polishing and finishing costs and hides any firescale, oxidisation, or tarnish without having to do to any thing aggressive or time consuming. In the case of silver, it's usually plated with fine silver to give a very bright appearance. Over time, that plating wears off, exposing the bare silver underneath, which is then vulnerable to tarnish. This can be restored to an extent with a magnetic polisher or tumbler, but I, and many others, actually prefer the appearance of silver that has aged naturally, giving a more interesting depth to the finish rather than the overpolished ultra shiny 'new' look.

If you want to clean the less easy to reach parts of links, you can go a long way with a cheap ultrasonic toothbrush and some silver dip. A tumbler or polisher is always going to be limited by the size of the media it uses.

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, but the thing is, after getting them polished professionally in the jewelry shop a few times, they still never regain that shine as when i got them new, that's when i started doubting, the polisher can regain that.
    Also, a few times after getting them new, there was still some steel shots (balls) trapped in the links. Does that mean, shop plated them with fine silver and after polish them or? A bit confused.

I suppose it depends on who ever is doing the job as already stated a tumbler will not produce a high quality finish, you do not polish after plating ( well not in the case of most local Jewellers ) yes you can bring it back up to as you say, new like polish
    hand polishing will do this, whoever does this will charge accordingly, this may be more than the chain cost to purchase as george said most people believe the patina that comes with time give the piece individual caricature.

I see! Thanks, so if i got this correctly, the hand polish will do a lot better than just throwing it in a tumbler.
    I'm curious, if i'd put a chain in a tumbler for more hours would it do better, say 2 hours vs 6 hours would there be any difference. (chain lightly tarnished for example). Is the time crucial here, now after you mentioned ''depends on who ever is doing the job'' i question myself, maybe they never had them in a tumbler for long enough.

From the same IP address, with different emails. Lukas/Grimee - an explanation, please.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    From the same IP address, with different emails. Lukas/Grimee - an explanation, please.
    Thanks Peter.We are on page 3 now and I’m pretty sure we have covered everything and more!

I suggest you go back and read all your posts and the various replies, we are just going around in circles now

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Thanks Peter.We are on page 3 now and I’m pretty sure we have covered everything and more!
    I apologize, i created 2nd one, i had some troubles with first one.
    Last edited by Lukas; 13-03-2021 at 02:24 PM.

Could you answer my last question though?

''I'm curious, if i'd put a chain in a tumbler for more hours would it do better, say 2 hours vs 6 hours would there be any difference. (chain lightly tarnished for example). Is the time crucial here, now after you mentioned ''depends on who ever is doing the job'' i question myself, maybe they never had them in a tumbler for long enough. ''

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
    Could you answer my last question though?

''I'm curious, if i'd put a chain in a tumbler for more hours would it do better, say 2 hours vs 6 hours would there be any difference. (chain lightly tarnished for example). Is the time crucial here, now after you mentioned ''depends on who ever is doing the job'' i question myself, maybe they never had them in a tumbler for long enough. ''
    No I don’t think so. This is a forum in which makers of jewellery ask for advice when they have a technical problem. We can’t make assumptions on what some other person might have done. Go back to them and ask them the same questions if it is upsetting you so much. You are just asking the same question in a different way and getting the same response from everyone