Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about tumbler polishing silver figaro,curb etc. chain links

Default Question about tumbler polishing silver figaro,curb etc. chain links

Hi everyone!

I have a question, every time i buy new silver jewelry, figaro/curb chains particulary from 5 up to 15mm widths links, they have very high gloss even inside the links, after some time, the chains tarnish of course, usually the oxidation appears more on the inside of links, a few times i've taken them to jewelry shop for cleaning/polishing, but after getting them back, they never got that same high shine again, the inside of the links are still kind of dull, do you have any tips how to restore them to be like new as far as this high shine goes? What was the case here, maybe the jewelry shop did not had the chains long enough in a tumbler machine maybe?

Chains and tumblers are poor companions, because a chain just dropped in would tangle and knot hopelessly. As a result, chains to be tumbled need to be tied up. or tied to something, so restricting access to mixed shot.

The best result is actually to dip in a silver dip solution if tarnished, rinse, and then brush all over with a wet and soapy jewellers brass brush.
    This extra fine one, although more expensive, is very good: http://www.metalclay.co.uk/brass-bru...ty-super-soft/

Dennis.

Thanks for the reply.

I did that, i bought the silver dip, after the dip, it got slightly more shiny, but inside the links,there's still darker shade, than the new ones bought (it's not rhodium plated, so that also does not explain why is it more shiny).
    I really don't know what to do.
    As far as tumbler, when i buy the new chains, sometimes there's still shot media, usually the stainless steel balls inside the links lol, so they do tumble ?

Sounds like it needs it go into a ultrasonic cleaner then re polished tumblers will not produce a high quality polish.

Here, these chains on picture, weren't rhodium coated at the start, so we can write off the possibility why it's shiny more.
    The left chain has been bought few years ago and after silver dip, it's still not as shiny as the right one pictured, which is new (the old chain had exact same shine when it was new by the way).
    What is going on? Every new chain i get and all of them werent rhodium plated, has the same high shine inside the links.Click image for larger version.
    While speaking to my local jewelry shop about this issue, they told me, it doesn't matter how long will be tumbling, they cannot make it more shiny..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	159839517_850431778849625_5538580164004987569_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	12943

As I tried to explain above over time it will be become dirty loose it's lustre/shine being Silver it will most likely have a degree of tarnish, all jewellery looses it's new look over time, mostly it can be restored, this would entail a professional clean and re polish
    Silver dip is not a substitute for a high quality polish.
    Last edited by china; 12-03-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Remember that bought chains have a factory finish and you are never going to retain that bright shine. Most jeweller take it down to a hand finish which is more desirable. If silver dip isn’t cleaning the insides which it should if it’s just tarnish then as Bob says it’s more likely to be dirt which requires deep cleaning not polishing on the inside a finishing polish on the surface to bring back a shine.
    Last edited by CJ57; 12-03-2021 at 02:43 PM.

I see. I remember i took the old 925 sterling silver necklace for cleaning and re-aplly of silver AKA some kind of silver plating, only at that time, it looked like new, what's your take on that?

Got you. Sometimes, one i get the new chains, there are still some stainless steel shots trapped inside the links. I'm really considering buying a tumbler, i'm wondering how long were they tumbling the chains for such a high shine, or it's some kind of mixture of hand finish as well.

What kind of deep cleaning are we talking about?