Thread: Feedback Please!

Default Feedback Please!

Hi All,

I'm just getting ready to get back to learning to make jewellery again, and I was just thinking about pieces that I made before taking a long break (about 8 years ago!). I wondered if anyone could take a look at some examples and give me some feedback?

I made an album with my examples: https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/album.php?albumid=307

At the time that I made them, I was practising techniques and just starting to get to grips with them. But I've always thought there was something missing - they all look quite "flat" to me, if that makes sense? Would love some feedback so that I have something to try and work towards.

Thank you for taking time!
    Sami

Hi Sami

Thanks for sharing. I don’t think you should worry too much about things being flat when you are learning techniques. You seem to have built up skills already and working on flatter designs is easier to improve your techniques first then you can build up layers and form. It all depends what you have in your head when making something, they are your designs and ideas that’s what makes it unique to you.
    The one thing you could perhaps work on is finish. Getting a good finish opens up avenues for the end result, matt, highly polished, oxidised whatever completes your design. Hope this helps Caroline

First get inspiration by looking at high end designer jewellery on line, not to copy it, but to see what is possible.

Then to take the last piece in your collection as an example: It is well textured and patinated, but to make it more 3D, you could use deeper rectangular wire for the frame.
    Instead of hanging it on one thin jump ring you cold use three, which would be more in keeping with the wide thong, or ribbon.
    Also as Caroline has said, work on the finishes. Dennis.

The easiest way to give a piece more depth is to buy a doming block. This opens up a whole possibility of curves

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I will definitely look at my finishing and polishing. At the moment, I've been finishing with filing paper by hand. I have a Dremel, but not used it for polishing much. I should probably try it! I'm sure I've seen a book recommended somewhere, but I can't remember what it is. Does anyone have a favourite book for this topic that they can recommend me?

I have a doming block and will give it a go

This is probably the book you're thinking of. It's about all aspects of polishing, not just jewellery, but does have a section about polishing silver jewellery.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polishing-F.../dp/1785005235

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    If you follow this post down the Guru you look get the information you need https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sh...t=Goldpolisher
    I sound as if English is my second language! If you follow the post in the link down to the Guru you will get the information you need

Thank you! I have picked up a copy of this book and started to read it! It's quite interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    This is probably the book you're thinking of. It's about all aspects of polishing, not just jewellery, but does have a section about polishing silver jewellery.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polishing-F.../dp/1785005235

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I sound as if English is my second language! If you follow the post in the link down to the Guru you will get the information you need
    No, it was fine! I understood what you meant! And thank you for the link. I have checked it out, and will bookmark it! I've just started making my first ring and very pleased that I even got the solder to run (it took me 3 attempts to get it to flow!), but will try and put into practice some of these polishing lessons! Thank you so much for your guidance!