Thread: Engagement Ring Advice for a First Time Ring Maker

Default Engagement Ring Advice for a First Time Ring Maker

Hello,

My name is Conner. I joined this forum to ask for some advice. I've never made a ring with stone settings. I've made very few jewelry pieces in fact. I want to make an engagement ring for my girlfriend, but I'm a little uncertain where to start. At the risk of sounding prideful, I am confident in my ability to craft a ring, even though I am inexperienced in this particular craft. I'm a metal fabricator and machinist by trade. I'm sure I'll have many questions going forward, but I've really only have one right now.

I want to make a ring very similar to the one pictured. I want to make one with 5 stones. My question is, would I carve this from wax and do the investment casting process, or is this something that would be better to cut from raw stock and solder? Is that even an option with gold? Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6594.JPG  

I think it might be better to solder it. With wax casting, the prongs can be tricky. You can get premade prong settings, adapt them to your needs, and solder then on to what ever you fancy, which would be the easiest way. I haven't made a ring like this myself so the others might be able to provide more comprehensive information

The alternative is to get it 3D printed in a burn out material with slightly thicker prongs, and then have it cast by a casting service such as West End Castings Hatton Garden.
    They would also clean it up for you. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    I think it might be better to solder it. With wax casting, the prongs can be tricky. You can get premade prong settings, adapt them to your needs, and solder then on to what ever you fancy, which would be the easiest way. I haven't made a ring like this myself so the others might be able to provide more comprehensive information
    Thank you for the advice! I didn't know that there were pre-made settings. I will look into this!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The alternative is to get it 3D printed in a burn out material with slightly thicker prongs, and then have it cast by a casting service such as West End Castings Hatton Garden.
    They would also clean it up for you. Dennis.
    Thank you! That's an interesting idea. I don't fancy the idea of 3d modeling this ring, but it's something to consider for sure. Thanks!