Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inspiration

Default Inspiration

Back in Seventies I made enamel jewellery I actually made a living from it, as every one knows the fashion just died along with CB radios etc. Well all this talk in the other thread about the white enamel failure and speaking with my friend in QLD has inspired me, I've just bought a used enamel kiln, these days I think I will aim for more sophistication and use Silver and Gold instead of just Copper as was the go back then.

Hope you'll show it then, Bob.

Yes Dennis I will, I have couple of projects I promised to show, unfortunately they are stuck on my old computer it is with a mate who is attempting to recover the hard drive "fingers crossed" as they say modern technology is great when it works.

A follow up I am slow learner "message to self" do not buy second hand stuff on Gumtree sight unseen, enamel kiln is a complete write off, the photo was clearly taken many moons ago
    Ok not giving up will make my own will post pics if anybody is interested but it is not jewellery, will start building on Monday once I pick up the bricks.

I'm always interested in self built equipment and tools. I've been thinking about kilns recently. The other area I'm interested in is tig welding. Not enough time in the day!

I will post some pics then, I have played with tig welding a little bit if you can oxy weld it is not a big step to tig, my mates lad did a fitting and turning apprenticeship at ASC ( Australian Submarine Corp.) and ended up becoming one of their top tig welders
    looks like a machine did it, so if if I need tig welding I just give it to him these days, saves having a cylinder of gas just laying around in the shed I can do pretty much all I need with my oxy set and my old school stick machine, (actually I have 4)

Picked up the bricks, I obtained them for half price ( left over from a order) this is just a basic positioning will be 200x200x200mm, now I need to notch the edges and cement each pair of bricks together
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC080016.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	12954

What will you use to support the heating elements?

Looking good.

I will rout channels/grooves horizontally along the the two side and the back, slightly deeper at the bottom and the element/s will lay in the channel There will most likely be just one element starting at the back running around and terminating at the back also.
    I need to do some math ( found a calculator on line) to work the size of the element then order the kanthal wire and wind it myself just winding jump rings (in theory), fortunately I have a sparky mate who use to build pottery kiln many years ago so if I get stuck I can call for help.

I'll let you get on with it rather than bombard you with questions ;-) I'll leave that until later on in the process :-)