Thread: How does this work?

Default How does this work?

I'm interested in making a version of this setting with these interesting prongs but how do you get the stone in? Are the prongs bent backwards slightly or to the side?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210708_160631_compress43.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	13123

I see no problem, inserting a rectangular stone into this setting Sheena. The problem would be how to set the stone, using these short bulky prongs.

Perhaps there is a final picture to offer a clue?

When I made a somewhat similar ring shown below, I started with very long prongs, to afford leverage and cut them back after setting. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bt Blue Topaz Ring.jpg  

That's a fabulous ring Dennis. Just the sort of thing I love! The picture is from John Cogswells Creative stone setting book. He offers it as an example of the sort of thing you can do with a bezel but doesn't tell you how to achieve it.

Name:	20210714_192218_compress65.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	13133

Mmm long prongs, that helps give me an idea of how it might be achieved.

This is a problem with learning from books. The author can present impossible diagrams without being taken to task.

I suspect that if you tried to set these short soldered claws they would snap off.

You will note that in my version the claws are in pairs, like the ribs on a boat. Perhaps you could take that approach. Dennis.

I want to do a round set bezel with 4 prongs in an x formation. I need to draw a wee picture to show you how I think it could be done then you can tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree

Morning Dennis, is this how I could do it?

Name:	20210715_075350_compress33.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	13135

Ps forgot to say love the shank of your ring too!

Yes, if well soldered that looks OK, but:

If you make your notch too shallow, the claw will move sideways instead of closing. You might have to cut in further with a narrower V at least past the half way mark, to weaken the metal enough. Try it with a strip of copper in your hand first.

You will also need the outer edges to diverge, if you want them to end upright, and possibly another five mm longer to make them easy to set. Pliers aren't good for closing strips. Fingers, or a push against your bench, or a vice on two opposing claws would be better.
    Then cut them to the desired length, have the tops level and matching, and the outer edges upright.

I like fancy shanks, so I solder bevelled square wires together in the flat to make a strip. When bending, keep the messy soldered side inside the ring, where it will be easy to polish. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 15-07-2021 at 02:23 PM.

That gives me alot to think about. I shall be printing it out Dennis so that I can follow it properly. A bit more complicated than it looks but on the day that I want a challenge this is what I'll be doing
    Last edited by Sheen; 15-07-2021 at 07:57 PM.