Thread: Novice Enamelling Failure

Default Novice Enamelling Failure

I've just started enamelling and am having consistent failures with white enamel (but only white enamel). No matter how long or short I leave it in the kiln it comes out with a pitted/curdled look. I am using the recommended temperature 800C. See photo below. Other colours, as in the blue in the photo, work absolutely fine. The blue and the white both came from WG Ball, but I bought a white from somewhere else too and I'm having the same trouble with it. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enamel1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	12913

Check that the enamel is compatible with metal you are using. Some will react.

If you put a layer of flux on the metal first as long as it covers the metal completely you may be able to put the white on top. You will again need to use compatible enamels.

I've not used white enamel or come across your problem so I'm just guessing.

My husband hates white and has given up using it as he hasn’t been able to resolve the problem.

Just by the photo it looks to me as the metal was not clean ( I am not saying that is the case ) be sure the surface is cleaner than clean, did you sift the enamel prior to application, you may need to wash the enamel first, as said above you may need to flux first
    which basically is a clear coat, I have not done much enamel work since the 70's at which time I made living making enamel jewellery ( back then you could not keep up with demand) I don't ever remember having issues with white.

Further suggestions I spoke t my friend in Qld she does enamel work all the time and has one prizes for her pieces, suggestion play around with temperature different enamel can be more sensitive to this, try not to make the layer too thick better to complete several firings than one heavy coat enamel must be completely dry before going in the kiln.

Thanks for the suggestions. A clear flux base layer seems to help a lot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enamel2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	12917