Thread: Antitarnish solution

Default Antitarnish solution

Hi All,

I notice that the sterling pieces I make tend to tarnish rather quickly. I know keeping the pieces in an airtight bag would help but does anybody use any of the antitarnish products that are avalible? I have seen the Antitarnish bath solution that cooksons sell but there are no reviews. Is this stuff (or any antitarnish products) worth bothering with?

thanks

From memory, the anti tarnish bath requires expensive equipment and is only appropriate for large volume output.

Anti tarnish strips, or tabs, which are cheap and plentiful on line, can be added to your bags, boxes or drawers, and will remain active for a year or so.
    You can also include them when work is sent, and encourage your recipients to retain them.

The alternative is Argentium, but when it eventually tarnishes, in a year or so, it is equally annoying. Dennis.

This might be a stupid question... but would Renaissance Wax help with anti-tarnishing? I saw it being sold at Cookson Gold, so thought I'd give it a try, but perhaps I misunderstood what it was for.

Sami

I use the anti tarnish tabs with good results. I only use Renaissance wax to enhance oxidisation and for nothing else. Once the alcohol dries off it can be buffed up with a duster
    Last edited by CJ57; 05-03-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Renaissance wax is an expensive grease, with no permanent benefit for silver.

As Caroline has said, it can be used on patinated metal, to enhance the colour by giving it a wet look, but then so can any furniture polish. Dennis.