Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with setting 1mm half cut seed pearls

Post Help with setting 1mm half cut seed pearls

Hi there - does anyone have any advice for the best way to affix 1mm half cut seed pearls into a cut-out channel within a 9ct gold and/or 18ct vermeil pendant?

So far I have tested with an epoxy glue which appears to be holding well.
    However, given how tiny the pearls are, and my lack of experience - it's proving to be a messy endeavour. No matter how steady my hand, I always seem to get glue outside of the channel/ onto the pearls themselves.
    Is there a suggested tool for picking up/ placing the pearls?

Any tooling or handiwork advice much appreciated!
    Thanks, J

I think Wendy may suggest super glue but I’ll leave her to advise . Anything glue related I find wooden cocktail sticks really useful for small amounts

Hello Jourdana and welcome to the forum. There is a choice of glues: Epoxy is slower to set, but requires two parts to be dispensed accurately and well mixed. Gel superglue is more convenient but grabs instantly making re-positioning a problem.

Whichever you use, mix it or dispense it on a piece of clear plastic packaging.
    Then apply it very sparingly to the metal, with a needle in a holder, such as half a wooden chopstick, or with a sharp cocktail stick.

The best tool for picking up pearls is a wax pencil used for nail art https://www.google.com/search?client...l+for+nail+art
    The point can be warmed and shaped with fingers.
    Once the pearl is in place don't touch, but press it home with a blunt stick. That way you will minimise any cleaning up.

You will see I have the same problem with the chatons in my acrylics. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Cat.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 23-02-2021 at 08:53 PM.

I use one of this type to pick up small stones Pearls etc https://www.craftonline.com.au/produ...el-picker-tool

Thank you Bob, I now found something similar on amazon UK, and have ordered it to try out: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Uchida+...f=nb_sb_noss_2.

For glueing it's important to place the pearl or rhinestone precisely, or you have stray glue to clear up which is frustrating and time consuming, Dennis.

Would clear silicon sealant work?

I use it for attaching sea glass (which is heavy) to glass to make translucent sun catchers. The sealant dries clear so is invisible and but gives you plenty of time to rearrange things before it sets. It doesn't yellow and seems to last for ever.

Certainly a novel idea, but needs testing.
    An immediate problem I can foresee is that it comes in large tubes and you only use minute amounts at a time. The rest might harden, before you need to use it again.

Would like to see a sun catcher though. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Certainly a novel idea, but needs testing.
    An immediate problem I can foresee is that it comes in large tubes and you only use minute amounts at a time. The rest might harden, before you need to use it again.

Would like to see a sun catcher though. Dennis.
    Hobby/craft shops sell it in small glue sized tubes for this type of application. (I work a lot in mixed media hence my rather off the wall approach at times)

The clear silica is waterproof too as less imaginative types just use it in the bathroom! I think it would work really well as a stone setting medium.

For some reason all my picture uploads seem to fail?

If you use Silicone I would suggest that use a neutral variety, (the type use for mirrors is neutral) the standard version may affect the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Hobby/craft shops sell it in small glue sized tubes for this type of application. (I work a lot in mixed media hence my rather off the wall approach at times)

The clear silica is waterproof too as less imaginative types just use it in the bathroom! I think it would work really well as a stone setting medium.

For some reason all my picture uploads seem to fail?
    That's sad, but don't give up. To be accepted, the file size needs to be reduced to around 700Kb, or less.
    My routine way of posting pictures is to Go Advanced, click on the paper clip, and go on as for an email attachment. The advantage is that you have the option of previewing your post before submitting.

Just about to look for craft silicone now. Dennis