Thread: Wire wrapped mens pendants... completely bad idea?

Default Wire wrapped mens pendants... completely bad idea?

Hi people,

I'm new to jewellery and have been making wire-wrapped mens pendants.

They are nothing special at all, just simple loops and ring type things.

I really enjoy the calm and logical thinking of wire-work, but...

I've recently noticed how easy it is for them to 'pluck' chest hairs and wondered if this is a complete killer for the whole idea / enterprise?

I don't wear pendants enough myself to know if jewellery plucking at chest hairs is a complete deal breaker or simply something that men who wear pendants know about and live with.

I have a tendency to panic a little and at the moment I'm wanting to just throw them all in the bin and stop with the wire-wrapping.

Sooooooo, does anyone have any common wisdom on the subject of wire-wrapped mens pendants?

Is occasional hair snagging simply a completely normal side effect and not something to get in a panic about?
    Or is wire-wrapped mens jewellery a well known no-no and a terrible idea?

Thanks in advance.:-)

Oh good question and I'll be lurking for the answer.

I've been asked to add a bail to a (male) friends stone. It's been pierced sideways (like a bead) rather than front to back and I was debating whether a wire wrapped mounting would be the way forward as I really don't want to be soldering anywhere near this stone. It's a chunky bit of rock and needs a substantial mount or it'll look odd

Not well-known to me, but if it started pulling out hairs I'd get fairly tired of it fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Not well-known to me, but if it started pulling out hairs I'd get fairly tired of it fairly quickly.
    Me too. :-(

In my head they would have been the kinds of pendants that you wear outside your t-shirt or whatever you are wearing. Is there a specific name for the kind of pendant that is meant to be seen, not tucked away?

I was chatting to my daughter about it and she pretty much only wears the kinds of pendants that you would wear over clothes. She found the idea of wearing a pendant under a top a bit strange.

Anyway, I'm trying to re-think the weaving to avoid the tight curls on the outer edges that are causing the problems. Even if I can only knock off half the offending loops that still halves the chance of catching something.

Tbh if I’ve seen men wearing pendants at all they are very short and worn tight round their necks as more of a choker than a pendant, that doesn’t always mean they are worn on top of fabric. Unless you’re aiming for medallion man with 3 buttons of his shirt undone then hair up to the neck maybe isn’t for wire wrapped work.
    As Bob has suggested a lot of people, both men and women , wear small pendants close to their skin especially if they have sentimental value
    Last edited by CJ57; 04-03-2021 at 02:18 PM.

I sometimes wear a limited edition silver ingot type pendant, it was gift from my partner, I don't wear it for show, but if it was pulling hairs I would not wear it.

What about a prong mount? I've made a few of those for odd shaped stones (meteorite for a male friend)