Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: copper plate

Default copper plate

when soldering and pickling i must of gotten something in the pickle because a 9ct ring i was soldering came out a copper colour is the fixable i've tried to sand down seems to of completely changed colour,thanks.

Did you use steel tongs in the pickle, if so get yourself some cooper or non metallic tongs, make a new batch of pickle and try again.

is the gold ruined and no i used the plastic end of my borax bruss to fish it out

Hi Billy, you cant really ruin gold by soldering and pickling.

Is it new gold from a reputable dealer or re-cycled from something old?
    If recycled, did it have a British hallmark, or was it just stamped by the maker?
    What kind of solder did you use?
    Is the ring plain, or textured?

All these pieces of information are relevant to your problem, because once pickled it should polish up as new. Dennis.

ye the ring is british hallmarked.9ct plain onyx ring ive tried to buff the copper colour off but it seems to be right through im using powder pickle of ebay never had problems with it before

I assume it is recycled if it is already hallmarked and you have modified it ? is there a possibility that it is rose Gold

Alternatively, unless you can identify the assay office it could be just the makers mark and turn out to be plated. Dennis.

the hallmark says BG&co 795 cz it was fine i polished it up nice untill i had to solder it then pickle it now it does seem like a rose gold colour no matter how much i buff it

That is not a hallmark but a makers mark and I’m not sure what 795 stands for I can’t seem to find anything. It may have taken a first polish and as Dennis says it may be plated and you’re down to the base metal now

B G and Co (in an oval) would normally be Bitton Gould, and if in a quatrefoil, it would be Boardman Glossop, both of whom were silversmiths. Are you sure the numbers aren't 375 (9ct)? Is it a Birmingham or Sheffield mark?

375 cz would often be seen on a 9ct dress ring set with cubic zircona. I wonder if it's been remade sometime in the past?