Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experimental setting

Smile Experimental setting

This one was a rather quick make, though the brass was still a nightmare to clean after soldering, don't think alum is the best thing to use for it. I'm planning to make another one with a heavier base to the stone and a thicker band. My only concern with it is whether the prongs are just not practical enough (too vulnerable to getting knocked out of position) any thoughts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210302_083625_compress29.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	12901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210302_083454_compress24.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	12902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210302_083350_compress80.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	12903

I don't know about the technicalities but I really like the look.
    Maybe a polished band instead of what looks like textured, but that's a quibble
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

No they look fine. Every extra wiggle will harden them more.
    I dont like working with brass because its rather dirty, but radial disks will clean a ring up Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    I don't know about the technicalities but I really like the look.
    Maybe a polished band instead of what looks like textured, but that's a quibble
    Thanks It has two textured pieces of brass then goes into a smooth silver band. For the next one the texture's going to be a little bit differant as I think it's a little too uniform.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210302_115646_compress75.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	12904

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    No they look fine. Every extra wiggle will harden them more.
    I dont like working with brass because its rather dirty, but radial disks will clean a ring up Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis, the vunerablility of the prongs was worrying me somewhat. The clean up is a real pain, with alum you end up with a copper plated effect, the soldering must bring it to the surface. I tried a super pickle this time of salt vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Weirdly it made the silver black but was strong enough to etch the brass somewhat but still left a gunky mess that took time to clean. What sort of radial disks do you recommend. I know nothing about cleaning with spinning things.

Cookson have a set including mandrels. Quite expensive, but ideal for small objects.
    Unfortunately once used on brass, they will get too dirty for silver.

You can use three per mandrel or four (more bushy). They are put on to rotate anti-clockwise when viewed from the screw end, so that the points don't dig in.
    Clean it up with a soapy brass brush. When dry, start with yellow, then blue, then green. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Thanks Dennis, the vunerablility of the prongs was worrying me somewhat. The clean up is a real pain, with alum you end up with a copper plated effect, the soldering must bring it to the surface. I tried a super pickle this time of salt vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Weirdly it made the silver black but was strong enough to etch the brass somewhat but still left a gunky mess that took time to clean. What sort of radial disks do you recommend. I know nothing about cleaning with spinning things.
    Get hold of a copy of Polishing and Finishing by Stephen Goldsmith, who is a master polisher. All queries answered
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I love it Sheena, very wearable. I like that the stone is matt too

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Get hold of a copy of Polishing and Finishing by Stephen Goldsmith, who is a master polisher. All queries answered
    Ah I have this book! Last time I read it was way above my experience level. I shall have another look, thanks for reminding me

Ace - and Stephen is really good at answering questions (it helps to have the book of course!) if you need guidance. Check his website and insta
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk