Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experimental setting

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I love it Sheena, very wearable. I like that the stone is matt too
    Thanks Caroline, I'm really finding out now what materials and shapes and textures I like. I'm really enjoying developing my tastes. It gives me a real passion for it.

Very nice! You'll find that whatever pickle you use if you're using brass you'll get that copper layer on the top after pickling. I use a small round brass brush in my rotary tool to take off the copper layer, much faster and less faffing than making super pickle.

I think the prong setting is beautiful! It looks really unusual to me

Sami

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    Very nice! You'll find that whatever pickle you use if you're using brass you'll get that copper layer on the top after pickling. I use a small round brass brush in my rotary tool to take off the copper layer, much faster and less faffing than making super pickle.
    Ah. Thanks so much for this. I was disappointed by the performance of the super pickle as I still had to clean it a lot after. Will definitely check out brass brushes. Any particular one you'd recommend. I'm surprised brass, to clean brass, works

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jewellery Girl View Post
    I think the prong setting is beautiful! It looks really unusual to me

Sami
    Thankyou!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Ah. Thanks so much for this. I was disappointed by the performance of the super pickle as I still had to clean it a lot after. Will definitely check out brass brushes. Any particular one you'd recommend. I'm surprised brass, to clean brass, works
    Any jewellers wet and soapy brass brush will do. You will see that Deb uses a rotary one on her motor, but they spatter yellow drops every where, so I prefer to use an hand one.
    If you look around they can be quite cheap, but I prefer the extra fine one from Metal Clay which is a bit dearer:
    http://www.metalclay.co.uk/brass-bru...ty-super-soft/.

In old age they become tangled and useless, but you can look after them, by not pressing too hard, rinsing after use and standing up in a jar to dry. Dennis.

Ooh, another thing to add to my "must get one of those!" list Dennis.
    I don't find there's too much splatter if I dip my piece in a dish of soapy water, just have to watch out for bits of brass pinging off when the rotary brushes get old. Obviously eye protection is a must. And don't tell anyone but when I polish my etched/textured silver pieces I find a little go over with the brass brush at the end really brings them up a treat.