Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackened stamping on rings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Blackened stamping on rings

Hi there,

Does anybody know what could be used to black stamping on rings? I know about liver of sulphur and also about the impressart paste you can use. The paste seems to be no longer available, just the pen but I find this doesn't blacken out stamping as well as the paste.

I'm wondering if there is something I could use on rings that is going to be long lasting? Obviously with rings, people are going to be washing their hands whilst wearing the rings and I just wondered if there was a more durable alternative to liver of sulphur or impressart paste/pen?

I have twisted ring a friend bought me from way back and the grooves of the twist are blackened out with something. It's definitely not liver of sulphur and I'm pretty sure it cannot be the impressart paste as I think it would have worn off by now but it's stayed black in those parts for years even with showering/bathing etc. I'm not looking to do this particular ring as such but I would like to be able to do stamped/engraved rings knowing that the blackened out parts are going to last.

Would be grateful if anyone could advise?
    Many thanks
    Lou x

Enamel, would be the most long lasting I can think of otherwise dyed epoxy e.g. Araldite, same process fill valleys and smooth off the hills

Thank you China, I will look into this.

What a good idea! What do you use to dye Araldite please?
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use Lamp black powder ( I do not know if it is true Lamp black) because I have it (Inherited from my father a little goes a long way) although any artist supply will will have a suitable pigment in powder form that can be used, if you are really dedicated, light up a kero lamp or similar catch the carbon from the flame on a ceramic tile and scrape it off, and you have genuine lamp Black.
    P.S. You don't have to restrict yourself to black.

Hi China,

On your earlier response you mentioned about using a dyed epoxy and pigment. I had a look for the pigment and found some here: https://www.jacksonsart.com/jackson-...SABEgJNt_D_BwE

Do you mean just mixing the power around with Araldite and wiping it into the stamping?

Thanks
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    What a good idea! What do you use to dye Araldite please?
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Back in the day we used ground ebony dust, more recently I’ve used crushed drawing pastels because it was all I had. I’ve used powdered dyes in the past too
    Last edited by CJ57; 25-02-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks Caroline - do you mix the dust and with Araldite or Epoxy together and do you find it long lasting? It's probably just being a moron but there seems to be a lot of different glues out there (another thing on my list to look at) )

Louise yes just a add small amount of the pigment into the epoxy when you mix it, and then into the lower section of the stamping that you wish to keep the colour, the bits you accidently put where you don't want it can be removed by scraping with a small blade then polish as you would a stained (liver of sulfur) piece. I would not be too concerned with California labeling, it is basically to cover the state against lawsuits it is on pretty much everything even human soap, my mate was over there a couple of years ago and purchased a pair of expensive sunglasses that carried the same waring. Just normal PPE would most likely be ok.

There is also this alternative, more an enamel alternative https://www.miniaturesweethk.com/collections/resin.
    Last edited by china; 28-02-2021 at 02:54 AM.

Thanks China, I am definitely going to give this a go with the glue. Will any glue be OK? There seems to be quite a few different types. I'm going to do a trial ring for myself first and see how it goes washing my hands with it on. I'm sure it will work, I just need to make sure I do it right that's all.

Thanks I'll also take a look at that enamel. I have bought 3 different types so far

Oh I see it has added one of me pics. I was trying to upload 3 just to show you but it only uploaded one. This was one I found on eBay which was terrible and the other 2 are impressart but I don't think they are long lasting to be honest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8592.jpg