Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blackened stamping on rings

I have watched this thread develop and have not joined in because I dont do stamping.
    However as one who likes to keep things simple, I can't help wondering why anyone would want to mix their own black epoxy, when single jars of black efcolour enamel are readily available from Cookson, or Metal Clay.
    It is fixed in a kitchen oven, for three minutes at 150 degrees C, or by using their inexpensive tealight heater. Being a powder, it should be easier to control too.
    http://www.metalclay.co.uk/efcolor-c...mel-stove-set/ Dennis.

The main reason I have not used it is because I had never heard of it. The UV is also very tough
    Last edited by china; 01-03-2021 at 02:41 AM.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your input. I suppose people have different ways and methods. I have never done enamelling before and would have never thought this would be how you would darken letters stamped on rings. In the videos I have watched, the people are enamelling a full surface like in the video link.
    I'm completely guessing that you would have do the the enamelling on the finished article i.e. the ring all made up? If that's the case, I'm not quite sure how it would work? Wouldn't it just spread all over and not just in the cracks of the stamping?

Please bear with me and my limited knowledge on certain subjects. I have mastered certain silversmithing techniques but I have a LOT more to learn and am constantly researching.

Thanks,
    Louise

With enamel you can make up a liquid with distilled water and various other liquids I have seen over the years and apply only where you want it, it can be ground down and re polished as well. probably not beginner stuff though , there is a whole new world to discover with enamel.
    I will obtain some of the efcolour and play with it, can't seem to find a supplier in Oz so I will try Cookson trouble is when ever I order from Cookson I have have to 6-7 weeks for it to arrive.
    Just to add if you make a liquid to apply you need to wait for it to completely dry before you fire.
    Last edited by china; 01-03-2021 at 11:56 AM.

EFColor enamel is not a vitreous enamel I'm not sure you can mix with water but there is an adhesive which can be used(it may be water based). It is a thermoplastic resin so doesn't need a high temp, typically 150C.