Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackened stamping on rings

Thank you Alastair, I will take a look.

Thanks Alastair - yes some of the links didn't work but others did. They give a link to the Rio Grande site to a product called "Midas Background Antique and Solvent Kit" but when you click on the info for this it says "WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including carbon-black extracts, methanol, silica, crystalline (airborne particles of respirable size), titanium dioxide, toluene, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm " I wouldn't want to use anything toxic but thanks for the share. I'm going to keep looking at other options.

Hi China,

On your earlier response you mentioned about using a dyed epoxy and pigment. I had a look for the pigment and found some here: https://www.jacksonsart.com/jackson-...SABEgJNt_D_BwE

Do you mean just mixing the power around with Araldite and wiping it into the stamping?

Thanks
    Louise

Thanks Caroline - do you mix the dust and with Araldite or Epoxy together and do you find it long lasting? It's probably just being a moron but there seems to be a lot of different glues out there (another thing on my list to look at) )

Louise yes just a add small amount of the pigment into the epoxy when you mix it, and then into the lower section of the stamping that you wish to keep the colour, the bits you accidently put where you don't want it can be removed by scraping with a small blade then polish as you would a stained (liver of sulfur) piece. I would not be too concerned with California labeling, it is basically to cover the state against lawsuits it is on pretty much everything even human soap, my mate was over there a couple of years ago and purchased a pair of expensive sunglasses that carried the same waring. Just normal PPE would most likely be ok.

There is also this alternative, more an enamel alternative https://www.miniaturesweethk.com/collections/resin.
    Last edited by china; 28-02-2021 at 02:54 AM.

Thanks China, I am definitely going to give this a go with the glue. Will any glue be OK? There seems to be quite a few different types. I'm going to do a trial ring for myself first and see how it goes washing my hands with it on. I'm sure it will work, I just need to make sure I do it right that's all.

Thanks I'll also take a look at that enamel. I have bought 3 different types so far

Oh I see it has added one of me pics. I was trying to upload 3 just to show you but it only uploaded one. This was one I found on eBay which was terrible and the other 2 are impressart but I don't think they are long lasting to be honest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8592.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Loulou View Post
    Thanks Caroline - do you mix the dust and with Araldite or Epoxy together and do you find it long lasting? It's probably just being a moron but there seems to be a lot of different glues out there (another thing on my list to look at) )
    Yes just mix the araldite and add whatever colour you want and mix in well. I’ve never used it for the purpose you have though but as larger scale infils in place of proper resins. My feeling is that whatever you you use for a twist ring in use it will oxidise naturally and if you don’t physically scrub it out with cleaner it’ll stay. I’d need to see the ring to decide what I’d fill it with if anything

I use Araldite because it is readily obtainable and seems to be just as good as some of the more expensive exotic brands, just a little bit at a time to get the "feel for it'
    The UV cure gear is basically the same as the dentist use for your teach these days. Only issue I had with that (purchased a starter kit) is torch lasted about 10mins the replacement about two days, fortunately I have a mate who runs the Aust and NZ division of Future lighting, now I have a UV light akin to Sun on my bench

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it!
    The twisted ring was just an example I was using as the ring I have has stayed black for a long time.
    What I am planning to blacken out is a basic ring with stamped letters on it. At the minute I just stamp on the inside and leave the finish natural but I would like to do inside and/or outside of the ring and darken it out without it washing off when people wash their hands. The letters I use are about about 1.5mm high. Hope that's enough info. Is this what you would do to darken the stamping?

Thanks,
    Louise

Thanks so much for your reply China, you've been really helpful.