Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: soldering mitres

Default soldering mitres

Hi - does anyone have experience of soldering mitres for a box? I have cut out 4 pieces and managed to solder 2 together but found it incredibly difficult to hold the mitres in place accurately. I secured a square charcoal block on a another block with holes and lined up the corners then put pins into the holes against the silver. Does anyone have other suggestions please? There must be an easier solution, surely? This is part of my learning curve making small silver boxes, this will be no. 7. (The others have been round, rectangular & square but I scored the last 2 to make the corners) Thanks guysClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090748.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	12889
    Last edited by theresa; 23-02-2021 at 12:33 PM.

I’ve only ever scored and folded which is a bit more forgiving. Have you tried wiring it? It’s what I would do but getting them on first will be a real faff before you can adjust because they’ll move and fall out. Good luck!

First you need to have a method of scoring your metal. You can use a scorer, and a ruler, But it requires strong fingers and tends to slip.
    I prefer a mini mitre box, with wood in the bottom, and a miniature back saw, which cuts by drawing backwards. Hobbies have a razor saw and mitre box set
    https://www.hobbies.co.uk/tools/hand-tools/razor-saw-$4-mitre-box-set
    Once you are more than half way trough, continue with a square needle file.

To make the L shape you start by scoring the inside centre of a strip until it is quite thin.
    Then bend it to a right angle, checking with a steel block or a square. Put it up on edge to solder, no support needed. it will distort a bit and need correcting afterwards.

Once you have two, they don't actually need bevelling at the free end. You just measure with your callipers, and allowing for the thickness of metal, put them together as butt joints. This tall square tube can be supported lightly with binding wire for the next solder, placing solder on the inside, and heating outside.

A piece can also be sliced off it to make the rim of a matching lid. Practice with copper first. Dennis

Thanks Dennis, but I am ok with cutting the mitres and also the scoring method. It's supporting the loose pieces for the first L shape that I found tricky. It always seems to take ages setting everything up for soldering. I shall just have to persevere until I get it right. Fun though!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I’ve only ever scored and folded which is a bit more forgiving. Have you tried wiring it? It’s what I would do but getting them on first will be a real faff before you can adjust because they’ll move and fall out. Good luck!
    Yes Caroline, I did consider wiring them. I go to bed and my brain is going through all sorts of ways to achieve my goal, and then you get that Eureka moment!

some years ago when I made up a set of 8 silver boxes I used a set of these https://www.micromark.com/Mini-4-Cor...-Inch-Capacity
    I tried to find them, but they seem to be hiding some where.
    Last edited by china; 23-02-2021 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Yes Caroline, I did consider wiring them. I go to bed and my brain is going through all sorts of ways to achieve my goal, and then you get that Eureka moment!
    You could use bits of masking tape to hold them together until you get the wiring set up and adjusted and tightened so they aren’t going anywhere and then remove the tape

This is what I have made so far. Square ones are proving to be challenging, they call for absolute accuracy.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boxes.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	12890

Actually, I just thought of bending a titanium strip which would hold them quite well.
    Last edited by theresa; 23-02-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Thanks Dennis, but I am ok with cutting the mitres and also the scoring method. It's supporting the loose pieces for the first L shape that I found tricky. It always seems to take ages setting everything up for soldering. I shall just have to persevere until I get it right. Fun though!
    I'm puzzled by what you say Theresa, because L shaped pieces will stand on edge as shown in your picture without any other support. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I'm puzzled by what you say Theresa, because L shaped pieces will stand on edge as shown in your picture without any other support. Dennis.
    That photo is before they were soldered, so 2 pieces to be soldered at the mitre. Needed to keep them close, no gaps. That was the problem I had. Anyway, I have now joined everything together and have a square(ish) shape!