Hi everyone

I'm brand new to the forum so please let me know I've posted in the wrong area.

I have a small shop that has recently opened (the timing I know!) stocking my own and other local jewellers work, but I really need some more gold pieces in my stock. Up until now gold work has mostly been done on commison.

I want to make some 'affordable' gold engagement rings with some salvaged diamonds I have at the back of the safe, but don't really want to layout on the gold with everything going on.

I also have some sovereigns I inherited and my plan was just to let them gather dust until I really needed some cash, however I've recently been thinking that would make quite a lot of 9ct gold realloyed down.

I've no experience of doing anything like this, and none of the jewellers I know have either so I thought I'd try you guys.

I've found an alloy list for sovereigns at their dates and am sure with a bit of maths and some googling I can work out what qualities of silver and copper to add to get the desired colour. I plan to aim for 10ct just to be on the safe side with assay, but before I go ahead and melting them down I want to know if there are any hints or tricks.

Or should I just send them somewhere? Do the normal bullion dealers offer this and I've just never thought to ask? Not such an interesting process that way though

Anyway many thanks in advance and sorry for the essay.

Stephanie

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk