Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Trying to create a ring like in the pic.. Help please!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    7

    Default Trying to create a ring like in the pic.. Help please!

    Hello all,

    Since I've got some raw gem stones and would like to make a ring like this in those pics,
    been searching for Blank Claw Ring (BTW is the name correct??)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_1588xN.2652654179_betx.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	12876

    Do you know reliable UK seller that sells blank ring like in the pic?
    Preferably UK seller as I'm worried about Import duty but... overseas seller is fine as long as they are reliable or you've used before.

    I've searched on eBay, Etsy but have not really found the item/seller unless I am typing the keyword wrong?


    -- I prefer just 4 claws
    --18k Gold 9K Cold, or 925 Silver



    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    760

    Default

    They would not be too difficult to solder up yourself

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,955

    Default

    As this is a makers forum I’m not sure you’ll get stockists for component parts like that as most people would be making from scratch

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thanks @josef1 @CJ57,
    TBH I am not that advanced, but I love the idea of soldering myself...in the future


    btw, talking of the original ring in the photo, ring's description says like
    "2.5 micron thickness 18K Gold"

    does that mean those rings are made in factory (or mass made) rather than hand crafted?
    Sorry for the super newbie question, but I'd like to know how things work and what's possible/impossible

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJM2021 View Post
    Thanks @josef1 @CJ57,
    TBH I am not that advanced, but I love the idea of soldering myself...in the future


    btw, talking of the original ring in the photo, ring's description says like
    "2.5 micron thickness 18K Gold"

    does that mean those rings are made in factory (or mass made) rather than hand crafted?

    Sorry for the super newbie question, but I'd like to know how things work and what's possible/impossible
    It means the thickness of the gold plating is...
    They will be mass produced, overseas probably and not made by hand . Caroline

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    8,217

    Default

    Rings like that are an entry level job and copper wire is cheap. Just roll up your sleeves and start making.
    Don't wait for Christmas, it's a long way off. We can help. Dennis.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    It means the thickness of the gold plating is...
    They will be mass produced, overseas probably and not made by hand . Caroline
    Hi, Thanks for clarifying that Caroline,
    I know my question sounds a little silly (for you experts) but I am eager to investigate and learn. x

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJM2021 View Post
    Hi, Thanks for clarifying that Caroline,
    I know my question sounds a little silly (for you experts) but I am eager to investigate and learn. x
    There are loads of great beginners books and an endless amount of videos and tutorials out there to help it not seem so daunting. Sometimes it’s easier to watch something being done to get a feel for it and then it makes sense. The books also do step by step projects

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •