Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc cutters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Disc cutters

Hello
    I have 2 disc cutters, neither of which have a clamping mechanism. Recently i’ve had a problem getting a clean cut, one punch even keeps jumping up and out!! I wondered whether I can get the punches sharpened or do I have to bite the bullet and buy a new disc cutter... if so can anyone recommend a modestly priced disc cutter with plates that clamp the together please?

Default Disc cutters

Andrew Berry I think has a talk on sharpening the punches.
    I have one like yours and found difficulties in cutting neatly so after some looking about I bought a clamping one. I found it on eBay at £79. So far very good. If you do get one do smear some Vaseline around the edge of the cutter. I found this helped no end. Have just looked up on eBay. It looks as if this circular one is one of about 3 on eBay that clamps. It is much cheaper than the Artisan or Durston variety. So far so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 17-02-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Have look at this with one exception use anything but 3in one (I hate the stuff)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDsefCS3U9g
    You can modify the non clamping types but these days you can get the clamping types fairly cheap (as said above) especially as a starter set

Thank you both for your information, I will look at the sharpening methods but whilst I am a junior member on this site I am very much a senior member everywhere else!! I had bought a cutter from Cousins but it was very different from the photo so I returned it. I will definitely look at the models you suggested. I am willing to pay that sort of price but can’t justify lots more as i’m just a hobby jeweller. Many thanks.

I wouldn’t go past my Swanstrom, cheaper than Durston who are producing anything they can at a much dearer price. I had to buy it from Rio Grande though so don’t know what the extra shipping costs would be now

Quote Originally Posted by Madryn View Post
    Thank you both for your information, I will look at the sharpening methods but whilst I am a junior member on this site I am very much a senior member everywhere else!! I had bought a cutter from Cousins but it was very different from the photo so I returned it. I will definitely look at the models you suggested. I am willing to pay that sort of price but can’t justify lots more as i’m just a hobby jeweller. Many thanks.
    Why not buy the discs ready cut? Cooksons have a good range as well as Bellore Rashbel. It may be more cost effective for you that way.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Have look at this with one exception use anything but 3in one (I hate the stuff)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDsefCS3U9g
    You can modify the non clamping types but these days you can get the clamping types fairly cheap (as said above) especially as a starter set
    That's a good tutorial: not much superfluous waffle. Please note that not many cutting punches have sloping ends, so don't try to introduce one that wasn't there before. Dennis.

irst place. Dennis.

Hi
    I watched the tutorial which was really helpful, I will have a go at doing that today. I expected to have to do something like grinding the edges! However, the tutorial it did recommend a link to Pepetools which may prove too tempting ...... they have a significant discount at the moment........

I have friend in QLD she makes jewellery for a living and has had the earlier version of this for years and is very happy with it.
    https://pepetools.com/collections/cu...sc-cutting-kit.

Different thicknesses, different diameters.....I would be bound not to have the ready cut disc when I wanted it.......then to wait a minimum of 2 days before you can get what you want. David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk