Thread: Doming blocks

Default Doming blocks

Has anyone used the Cooksongold nylon block and punches please?

If so did you like it?

Doming punches are for life.

Many years ago I bought a set of boxwood ones, and in conjunction with a brass cube, I can happily make shallow domes from textured disks without damage.

However for making balls, it is necessary to raise disks into true half spheres. Only steel punches and a steel block, or cube will allow you to do that. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Doming punches are for life.

Many years ago I bought a set of boxwood ones, and in conjunction with a brass cube, I can happily make shallow domes from textured disks without damage.

However for making balls, it is necessary to raise disks into true half spheres. Only steel punches and a steel block, or cube will allow you to do that. Dennis
    Thank you both. This could be “the answer to the maidens prayer”! One item I like to make includes a hammer finished domed roundell of silver. I have to be so careful not to be too strong when doming this as it tends to take the crispness out of the hammered finish, even if I put a layer of thin gas cape leather on top of the silver. Maybe the nylon set could be the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Thank you both. This could be “the answer to the maidens prayer”! One item I like to make includes a hammer finished domed roundell of silver. I have to be so careful not to be too strong when doming this as it tends to take the crispness out of the hammered finish, even if I put a layer of thin gas cape leather on top of the silver. Maybe the nylon set could be the answer?
    I would dome and then add the finish

Ah but the domed pieces are only 13 to 16 mm in diameter and the hammered finish is on the con cavity. I also found that when I attempted this the doming tended to become deformed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk