Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get an antique “look” on silver”

So once darkened by any means can you then polish the piece using a felt buffing wheel to shine the “high spots”. I take it the darkening would be done after tumbling the piece?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    So once darkened by any means can you then polish the piece using a felt buffing wheel to shine the “high spots”. I take it the darkening would be done after tumbling the piece?

I think you just have to play and see what you like the look of. I find if I polish/tumble and then darken and take off high spots the effect is slightly matte. If I polish, darken, take off high spots and then tumble everything is nicely burnished. The rings in my photo, I polished, darkened and then didn't deliberately take off high spots but did then pop them in the tumbler for an hour.

If a hard boiled egg works would a paste of flowers of sulphur work? I have a lot of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    If a hard boiled egg works would a paste of flowers of sulphur work? I have a lot of that!
    Probably, I've seen people say they've used lime sulphur dissolved in water (usually for plants) as the active sulphur ingredient to give patina.

Well unfortunately Platinol has to be collected from London or Birmingham as it is a “Dangerous” product whereas Liver of Sulphur is only “Hazardous” and can be posted. I will therefore be under voluntary exile in my garage workshop when using it so as to maintain a happy equilibrium domestically!
    David.

I usually order it with other goods when they are doing free delivery and it comes by courier

Did that with a number of other pieces....no go! Collect only. Maybe they take pity on those that live in the wilds!

Hmmm. How long do you have to leave it egged please?

15-30 mins if you put it in something see-through you can watch it til it's the colour you want. Generally this won't give you a very dark oxidisation but it's good for antiqued and if you've set something like a pearl and don't want to put it in corrosive patinas. Again youtube will show you how.

Ah, memories .......of course I remember that a silver spoon used for eating a boiled egg always tarnished. It was my job as a child to polish them up. Should have remembered that!

Well I thought I'd experiment. I had a heavily textured piece that needed to be darkened to get some contrast.

I put 1tsp of sulphur powder in a glass jar and 5 tsps of warm water. I added the pendant and shook well. I left it for about 30 minutes checking the colour every 10 minutes.

I'm delighted with the result - sulphur is a reasonably safe chemical to use and in this form it doesn't smell!

That sounds pretty good. Never suggested before. Could we have a picture?