Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get an antique “look” on silver”

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to get an antique “look” on silver”

I am sure I have read about this somewhere but as ever I can’t find it! By chance after intentionally creating a hammered effect on an item I polished it and noticed that on one portion there was this effect. The “indented” silver had a darker colour whilst the raised outlines were brightly polished. I would like to reproduce this by choice and not by chance! Liver of sulphur rings a slight bell?? Any guidance would be gratefully received.
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can try liver of sulphur or platinol (platinol doesn't need to be heated) there are loads of tutorials on liver of sulphur on YouTube. Check out Make it with Kim's twelve months of metal.

Liver of Sulphur is what I use, just don't use it in the house, I get it from a chemical supplier less cost than a jewellers supply, probably the same over there

Thanks. I have now connected with U tube and will for the sake of harmony in the house try platinol which I gather isn’t so smelly!
    David

It dissolves organic substances, including skin and hair, so wear gloves and if brushing, use a synthetic brush. Dennis.

I prefer platinol as it doesn’t smell as bad. Both will dissolve the bristles of a brush though so wear gloves or at least lift out of the solution with tongs if dipping the whole piece. I rarely do but either use a pared down cotton bud or wooden toothpick for more precision. I rinse under hot water for more depth but everyone has very different ways of getting the effect they want so it’s trial and error

Well unfortunately Platinol has to be collected from London or Birmingham as it is a “Dangerous” product whereas Liver of Sulphur is only “Hazardous” and can be posted. I will therefore be under voluntary exile in my garage workshop when using it so as to maintain a happy equilibrium domestically!
    David.

The other option is Noirit, but I see that's now been classified as dangerous as well and can only be sent to VAT registered customers. I like it because it's prediluted and ready to use, so there's just a bit less faffing around.

You can of course go down the eco-friendly route, and just pop your pieces in a container with (but not touching) a cut up hard boiled egg, close the lid and wait for the magic to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    The other option is Noirit, but I see that's now been classified as dangerous as well and can only be sent to VAT registered customers. I like it because it's prediluted and ready to use, so there's just a bit less faffing around.

You can of course go down the eco-friendly route, and just pop your pieces in a container with (but not touching) a cut up hard boiled egg, close the lid and wait for the magic to happen.
    Hmmm. How long do you have to leave it egged please?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Hmmm. How long do you have to leave it egged please?

15-30 mins if you put it in something see-through you can watch it til it's the colour you want. Generally this won't give you a very dark oxidisation but it's good for antiqued and if you've set something like a pearl and don't want to put it in corrosive patinas. Again youtube will show you how.