Thread: soldering glasses

Default soldering glasses

Anyone know of a pair of glasses i could use to take the glare off when soldering. The brightness is giving me migraines. i don't want anything that would stop me from seeing what's going on.

It is probably a mistake to use any old tinted glasses, which might encourage you to stare at the flame without protecting against infra red and ultra violet
    There are safety glasses for welding and kiln work here, suggest you choose shade 3:

https://www.google.com/search?q=safe...w=1403&bih=777

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-02-2021 at 12:06 PM.

I only have the problem with Platinum and sometimes Gold, I just use my Oxy acetylene welding goggles they are shade 5

TIG glasses, shade 5 here.

Is the higher the shade number the darker the lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Is the higher the shade number the darker the lens?
    Yes, and the problem I have, is that I really need to see the solder flow. This is already diminished by my grade 3 clipons, which I bought for my adventures with kiln enamelling. A grade that was suggested on the Prometheus website. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, and the problem I have, is that I really need to see the solder flow. This is already diminished by my grade 3 clipons, which I bought for my adventures with kiln enamelling. A grade that was suggested on the Prometheus website. Dennis.
    Maybe I should see if there a lighter pair 1 or 2. I really want to be able to see what I'm doing. Most of the things I make are itty bitty

What about Didy's as worn for lampwork? I know they're specifically for soda flare, but they do a lot to reduce general glare and certainly keep everything else pretty sharp.

https://www.tuffnellglass.com/conten...glass.com.html

Though it all gets a bit tricky when one is short sighted, has hopeless multifocals that I'm sure are great for using a mobile phone but are rubbish for work, and need magnification as well. I had a fantastic didy shield that I used to use for soldering as well as glass but somebody borrowed it and it never came back

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    What about Didy's as worn for lampwork? I know they're specifically for soda flare, but they do a lot to reduce general glare and certainly keep everything else pretty sharp.

https://www.tuffnellglass.com/conten...glass.com.html

Though it all gets a bit tricky when one is short sighted, has hopeless multifocals that I'm sure are great for using a mobile phone but are rubbish for work, and need magnification as well. I had a fantastic didy shield that I used to use for soldering as well as glass but somebody borrowed it and it never came back
    Why does borrow always seem to mean given away. Urrrrrr! Never heard of didy's before but will check them out. Thankyou