Thread: Solder running up strip bezel

Question Solder running up strip bezel

Hi all,

I have tried to solder gallery strip bezel - bought from cooksongold - to a sterling silver base plate. I can get the solder to flow but when I put the piece in cold water after, the two pieces disconnect. On close inspection I can see that the solder is flowing up the bezel and not through the join.

I am using a mesh wire and two hand torches to ensure the piece is hot enough. Using borax cone flux. I have tried this with both medium and extra easy solder.

What is going wrong or what could I do, to do this properly!?

Thanks!

Hi Silkie and welcome
    I’ve not used gallery strip but I’m assuming it’s a thinner gauge than the ring so I think the strip is reaching temp before the ring so the solder is going there. You need to aim the flame at the ring first and then gently over the bezel having cleaned all your surfaces and edges well before fluxing and adding solder. Hopefully that should solve the problem

To add to that, solder will not close gaps, so the ends of the strip must match with no daylight showing. Then sit the bezel joint on a piece of solder (a pallion) on a block and heat gently , moving the flame to avoid hot spots.
    The solder will rise up to close the join. Then test the stone in it.
    Now the finished bezel can be added to your piece using an easier solder. Dennis.

Thank you both for the help.
    After reading your comments I went and got binding wire as the two pieces were not properly connecting and I couldn't sand it down to fit as it would have damaged the gallery bezel strip.
    I continued with my two hand torches focusing the flame at the bottom of the plate and then when I got it high enough I then took the weaker torch and worked it around the sides to ensure the solder flowed around properly. It worked!
    Thank yous for your help ��
    Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by SilkieSilver View Post
    Thank you both for the help.
    After reading your comments I went and got binding wire as the two pieces were not properly connecting and I couldn't sand it down to fit as it would have damaged the gallery bezel strip.
    I continued with my two hand torches focusing the flame at the bottom of the plate and then when I got it high enough I then took the weaker torch and worked it around the sides to ensure the solder flowed around properly. It worked!
    Thank yous for your help ��
    Laurie
    That’s great Laurie. I’m sure you feel good to have mastered it now!

Well done Laurie, seeking and then following good advice always helps