Thread: This arrived in the post, what would you do?

Default This arrived in the post, what would you do?

Hi guys,
    I hope all is well with everyone. So this split hollow silver bangle arrived in the post today for repair. I have in mind what I will do to it, what would you do?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slavebangle.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	12858
    Poor old Les

I would make sure that it is real silver and that the inside seam is open enough for air and steam to escape.
    Then I would freshen up the break with a glass brush pencil only. Assemble it with the catch closed, tie with binding wire and solder with hard solder,

Once soldered and pre polished, I would boil it in soda solution and then hot water, allow to dry, close the seam more in my fibre jawed vice and flex the bangle to restore its spring.

Then apply the final polish. Thank you for our little challenge Les. Dennis.

Personally, without a laser setup, I'd send it back. It just smells of failure. That's quite apart from the horrific smell you'll get from whatever's inside the moment a flame goes near it.

Even with the laser, I'd be cautious about that. The metal is presumably seriously work hardened and it'll happen again - at which point it's all your fault.
    Customers ignore caveats and warnings.

Melt it down and start again

Thanks guys for your participation. I have made my proposal to my client with the caveat that should it go pear shaped, it will need to be smelted and something new made. I await her go ahead....In view of the fact that I posted to the group I will record my progress and share successes and or failings....well there is little else further to do at the mo right? With lockdown, curfew riots and the worst vaccination record across Europe to date, I am happy to have a project to stimulate and distract the mind.

Stay safe everyone.
    Poor old Les