Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplier needed please

Question Supplier needed please

Hi everyone, i am very new here and also to the whole metal works world. Can anyone please suggest where i can buy some very thin sterling silver sheets please? Looking for 32/34 gauge. I can't seem to find anything from UK. Have found a couple suppliers from USA but delivery, VAT, import tax add up to quite a lot
    Thanks in advance

Bellore Rashbel have it as 2.5mm, a little thicker than you want: https://www.bellorerashbel.co.uk/sil...0.25mm-8002852

If you are going into this long term, you might consider buying a basic rolling mill and rolling your own. Dennis

I have some 0.15mm, but I can't for the life of me remember where it came from. I've never managed to think of anything much to do with it though!

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I have some 0.15mm, but I can't for the life of me remember where it came from. I've never managed to think of anything much to do with it though!
    Decorate Kulfi? Dennis.

You won't find anything in the UK, the Uk uses the metric system as do most jewellers around the world (excluding USA, even they are slowly coming around ) the sponsor of this Forum has a large selection a quick look found down to at least 0.3mm

If it's fine silver you can use it as a reflector under gemstones

Thanks for quick replies guys
    How malleable are 0.25mm and 0.3mm sheets? I mean are they easy to hand emboss with a simple stylus pen? Cut with household scissors? Sorry if the questions sound too basic, i have only worked with tooling copper sheets and was looking for something similar in silver for a project.
    Regards

Yes, no problem to emboss or cut. The question is only will they be durable enough when finished. We would like to know more about what you are making to advise you properly.
    You can also use fine silver, which starts off much softer, but hardens when worked.

When the metal gets too thick to emboss by hand, at about 0.4mm, you use a punch and a hammer as in chasing.
    An alternative is to lay the sheet over cut out words or letters or a design and press down with neoprene sheet in a press. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 22-01-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    If it's fine silver you can use it as a reflector under gemstones
    Nope! Sterling, and fully hard at that. I'm sure I had some plan for it at the time, but it's probably been lurking at the bottom of my bullion drawer for 20 odd years.

Nope! Sterling, and fully hard at that. I'm sure I had some plan for it at the time, but it's probably been lurking at the bottom of my bullion drawer for 20 odd years.
    What about some sort of folding/origami make?