Thread: Crocker Sharpener for GRS graver?

Default Crocker Sharpener for GRS graver?

Hi there , do any of you have the GRS gravers and I was wondering if the Crocker sharpener would work with the one I have HSS GRS QC - 41 .

I see cousins are selling a Crocker style, it would be great to know if my graver will fit with this tool . Thanks you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B9A6513E-B0AA-414D-B9B8-0DD965D69303.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	12852

It'll fit, but I've not seen a good quality Crocker-style sharpener in a very long time - and that one wasn't new. All of the modern ones I've seen have been very, very poor. I would advise against them.

Given you're using a flat, I'd recommend developing the hand/eye coordination to do it manually if at all possible - failing that, a screwdriver sharpener might work (depending on how the graver/scorper is held); the GRS dual angle sharpener will work, the Steve Lindsay templates *might* work. Diamond rubber wheels and a microscope will work too, but that's getting more off-track.

One thing I'd ask about - the handle you've shown there, I didn't think could accept graver shanks other than on the diagonal? I wonder if they've changed the design?

Just as there is for woodworking chisels etc. there are many different devices to aid sharpening/honing I learnt as a cabinet maker to sharpen by hand I have adapted this to gravers and many other items
    I believe it is well worth the time and effort to attain this skill, one you have your graver prepared and ground it only takes a couple strokes on a quality Arkansas stone to bring it back, with out having to bother about setting a guide of some design.

I made my own jig to sharpen them.Tried the crocker one and didn't have much luck with it I now have the sharpest gravers ever but still cant engrave lol

Thanks Peter , the graver goes in straight in this handle . Thanks for your reply.

Thanks China , I have tried doing it by eye but don’t find it that easy .

That made me laugh, at least you have sharp gravers. I will see how I get on with sorting a jig out . Thank you