Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hi Everyone,

Some super talented and incredibly helpful people on here. It's so nice to see.

I have just attempted to make some jewellery for my girlfriend for Christmas using bog oak and some bronze.
    I loved doing it, it was intricate and precise work and I want to do more.

I bought the chain from the local jewellery shop near me and I think it's antique brass, it's very black in appearance which looked good with the bog oak and bronze.

My girlfriend was telling me about that sometimes some brass leaves green marks on people's skin after prolonged wear.
    So I started looking into sterling silver and how to turn it black with Liver of Sulphur.

So can I ask which is better to go with:

Buying a spool of sterling silver chain and oxidising it to turn it black?
    Or
    Buying a spool of antique brass chain?

I live in Ireland so I'm still working out where to get a spool of sterling silver chain.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for having me on the forum.

Cheers,

Ciarán.

Hi Ciarán, and welcome to the forum. Fist of all, unless you've won the lottery, there's no need to buy a spool of silver chain.

You can buy it by the metre, or even by the centimetre, here from Cookson Gold if you search loose silver chain, or made up with a clasp if you search made silver chains.

If you decide on bronze, then people will vary in how they react, so all you can do is try it. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Ciarán, and welcome to the forum. Fist of all, unless you've won the lottery, there's no need to buy a spool of silver chain.

You can buy it by the metre, or even by the centimetre, here from Cookson Gold if you search loose silver chain, or made up with a clasp if you search made silver chains.

If you decide on bronze, then people will vary in how they react, so all you can do is try it. Dennis.
    Thanks a million Dennis,

Much appreciated.