Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rotary tool needed

Default New rotary tool needed

Arrgh - my Dremel just died on me. To be fair it was not ideal but it did to be going on with until I could justify buying something better. However that choice has been taken out of my hands.

I do need to replace it like yesterday though so what would you all recommend for a novice? I'd love a Foredom obviously but that is out of budget at the moment.

I need to be able to drill seaglass as well as general polishing duties. There doesn't seem to be much between the £35 "dremel like" tool on Cooksons or the Foredom. I'd rather spend the money and get a better tool than spend £35 and get a fancy case and a load of accessories I probably won't use

It’s a bit quiet here so I’d put it into the search on the page. There have been a lot of questions pretty much the same in the past few weeks and a lot of info and advice given. It’ll depend on how much your happy to pay within the price range mentioned

Thanks Caroline

I did have a search but ended up more confused than ever! Those Marathon micrometer recommendations for example - are those the dental units ?

It won't let me post a link but eBay is full of them

If so then that is well within budget.

Ah I think I can now!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35K-RPM-D...UAAOSwra9fjnUF

or do I need the Marathon 3 champion?

You’ll need to get advice on those specifics as I only have a Foredom micromotor. Had a I known about the cheaper versions I’d have got one of those. I believe some people have used dental equipment but I can’t offer any help on those sorry. Everyone is only offering advice on what they know from our own experience. The only thing we’re agreed on is don’t buy a Dremel if you can help it and if it blows up take the opportunity to move away from the Dremel and buy up

Unfortunately Micromotors under that name are made in the Far East by a number of different sources, so it's difficult to comment with certainty.
    All I can say is that I bought one like that as a spare about five years ago, and was so pleased with it that I have used it as my main one ever since.
    If you're a gambling girl then go for it, but note that like most micromotors it will only take tools with 2.3mm shanks so your thicker Dremel tools won't fit.Dennis.,
    Last edited by Dennis; 17-01-2021 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks both

Well it's the same as a pair of shoes I haven't bought because of lockdown! Foredom is definitely something to be aspired to for the next purchase though.

I certainly don't want another Dremel so I'm going to have to buy some more attachments whatever I pick. I've got away with a fancy adapter chuck until now but I don't think what I have will fit without seeing what leeway the micromotor head has. They may be a little too small.

As Dennis said it is a Counterfeit and is not made in Korea, if it breaks down just through it out will not be worth the bother to attempt a warrantee claim, however some people have bought the low quality Counterfeits and are happy with them

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Thanks both
    I certainly don't want another Dremel so I'm going to have to buy some more attachments whatever I pick. I've got away with a fancy adapter chuck until now but I don't think what I have will fit without seeing what leeway the micromotor head has. They may be a little too small.
    The micromotors only fit one size, which is the same as all the tools sold by Cookson, 2.35mm shanks.
    To be fair, no one here has yet complained about their Marathons, but we are cautious about no aftercare. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 18-01-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Take a look at the Marathon 3 here: https://www.eurofindings.com/series/...ill-micromotor - you may need to register to see prices, but under £100 (ex vat of course) and actually in the UK rather than pretending to be. It's the best price I've found for these.